Why become a member? ×

The Perfect Balanced Jazz Bass

Tankdave

I been trying to find a traditional Jazz Bass (4-string) or perhaps a P-Bass that has ZERO neck-dive. You woud have thought it easy, but I'm extra sensitive or in-tollerant to neck-dive because I have played a headless bass for the last 25 years. 

I recently went to a large retailer in the south and tried a lot of basses ranging from expensive American made Fenders to Sires to Squires. My conclusion was that they ALL seemed to suffer the issue to some extent with the best being a £299 Squire Jazz (Contemporary Model)

This particular Squire model was the heaviest bass there, so I beleive its "cheaper" heavy body was able to counter balance the headstock better. Why did I not buy it? It was severly damaged.

So before I finally pull the pin on the Squire, or similar cheap & heavy bass, has anyone else been here?

Sandberg TT4 Superlight is the answer. Under 7lb, brilliant balance.

Avoid all basses that have the old style large plate tuning heads on them - unless you are happy to spend money on fitting Hipshot Ultralites instead. They do make a huge difference for balance and can also lower total weight by as much as 0.5 lb depending on the tuners you are removing.

If you find a heavy tuner bass you like where the balance is almost where you want it, then Hipshots will cure it.