Why become a member? ×

Spray Paint Cloth grille on cab

I recently took delivery of a secondhand Ashdown AAA 115T cab with an Ashdown LittleBastard Head.

The cloth on the cab is black, I would like the cloth to be silver to match the silver face of the little bastard head.

Would it be possible to do this with a cloth spray paint or would you recommend buying new cloth and recovering?

Looking for a finish somewhat like this: 152393-tmp9E34.jpg?w=680&h=680&fit=fill&

You wont be able to achieve that with a spray paint - the weave has was a black, white and silver thread working through it. Grille cloth isn't too expensive (not that it's particularly cheap either!) - it's probably easier for you to build a frame and build a new cover and piped surround. Should be able to do it for less than 50 quid for a proper job on it.

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/grill-cloth-fender-style-black-white-silver-36-wide-per-yard

Edited by EBS_freak

Tip - with that Fender style cloth, it is plastic based. When you staple it on, you can then CAREFULLY run a hot air gun over it (keep your distance), and it will shrink and tighten. I'm not sure a hair drier is powerful enough, but it could work.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RichardH said:

Tip - with that Fender style cloth, it is plastic based. When you staple it on, you can then CAREFULLY run a hot air gun over it (keep your distance), and it will shrink and tighten. I'm not sure a hair drier is powerful enough, but it could work.

Good advice, but DON'T give it the heat gun treatment with the grille attached to the cab or you'll cook the drive unit cone.

Edited by Dan Dare

• 2 weeks later...