Why become a member? ×

Clip-on tuners, any good

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I’ve always used pedal type tuners  in the past (Boss TU3, Korg Pitchblack) but I’m trying to clear the floor space around me and keep my signal path to a minimum so was thinking of investing in a clip-on tuner. 

How accurate are they for bass and which are the best ones to go for?

Edited by MoJo

Clip-on tuners are ok - although I've only tried one type: https://www.korg.com/uk/products/tuners/pitchcrow_g/

A few things I have found are that it is sensitive to where on the headstock you place it, and it doesn't work too well if there is a lot of noise (as in, I get a few moments rest mid-song but everyone else is playing, it can be hard to get a clear reading)... Lastly, compared to something in the signal chain it seems more sensitive to interference from sympathtic vibrations from other strings - so I find best results from positively muting all other strings, which you should probably do anyway, but I'm somehow more aware of it with that tuner. None of these stop me from using it though. Very useful for cramped venues or tuning before plugging in etc.

I did a straight comparison with my pitchblack pedal when I forst got it, and would say it's equally as accurate but takes slightly longer to settle to a steady indication of sharp/flat/in tune. Battery life is long though, and it's never fallen/flown off.

For what they cost I wouldn't be without one in my gig-bag! Just don't forget it's there when you put your bass away - our guitarist has managed break/lose a couple of them that way.

• Like 1

I'm very new to the party with clip-on tuners - recently bought a Korg Pitchclip (okay, but a bit 'plasticky'), and a Fender 'bullet' (pretty good, feels quality).

The best I've ever tried was @Frank Blank's TC Polytune, which he very kindly lent me at the Midlands BassBash this year.

(Cheers Frank 👍 :))

I've used Snark ones of various sorts (very good and accurate but they go through batteries a bit quick and they can be a bit.....plasticky. Two of mine are held together by sticking plaster, like Jack Duckworth's glasses).

I then got the TC polytune (which I've only ever used in single-string mode). Brilliant. Unobtrusive, battery lasts for ages, nice and clear display. If mine breaks I'm getting another.

It also seems less sensitive to positioning than the snarks.

Guest MoJo

A lot of love for the Polytune/Unitune so far. Will have to check them out. Has anyone tried the D'Addario clip-free tuner?

For accurately adjusting intonation I went with a Peterson strobe clip. I have to say, intonation is now an absolute doddle. Very happy to own it - it’s a terrific tool - but I admit I very nearly decided it was too expensive.

• Like 1

I bought one on a Reverb offer a couple of years ago, I think it's perfectly adequate and fit for purpose...it was under a fiver and it's still going strong.

That said, I wouldn't use it if I was doing a bit of a set up (ie intonation work), just need something that I can plug into rather than relying on vibration if the body.

I'd concur with an earlier comment that it's essential to mute the other strings when you're tuning.

I borrowed a clip on tuner and found that, on a noisy stage in a noisy club, it picked up too many vibrations from the room and couldn't identify the bass notes clearly enough. I don't know if that is common situation with all of them.

Just sold my TC BH250 and I really miss the onboard tuner (and the toneprint chorus for my fretless). The Unitune sounds a good bet to me. But what I'd really like is a small device that can sit discreetly by the head for when I need to check. The only options (apart from clip-on) seem to be pedal or rack. Going to a clip-on mid set seems a hassle. And the pedal tuners that get recommended cost more than I sold my BH250 for... ??!

Another vote for the TC Electronic UniTune and PolyTune.

The PolyTune is great for the guitar, works fine on the bass, but can drop into "six string mode", which is just annoying.

The UniTune works fantastic on bass, it's very accurate, and is cheaper than the PolyTune.

Originally, I bought a Snark. I liked the concept, but wasn't desperately impressed with the quality. So I went the TC route, because I have a Polytune pedal on my guitar effects board. Really like it, easy enough to use; struggles a little occasionally with the low B on the 5'ers, but not unhappy with it, at all.

On 03/06/2019 at 11:38, Danuman said:

For accurately adjusting intonation I went with a Peterson strobe clip. I have to say, intonation is now an absolute doddle. Very happy to own it - it’s a terrific tool - but I admit I very nearly decided it was too expensive.

I've got one of these too, works for me.

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

I borrowed a clip on tuner and found that, on a noisy stage in a noisy club, it picked up too many vibrations from the room and couldn't identify the bass notes clearly enough. I don't know if that is common situation with all of them.

I've found this too, so for gigs I use a cheap Korg tuner plugged into the tuner output of my amp. 

• Like 1