Why become a member? ×

‘Fender’ P bass

Hi - just to let you know that I'm afraid your bass isn't a vintage Fender - in fact it's not a Fender at all, and I hope you didn't pay anything like the price you're asking for it. What it is though, is actually quite interesting, if you know your vintage copies. It's a Musima, probably early 80s, and was made in the former East Germany. These are easy to spot in a few ways, notably the wheel-type truss adjuster (absolutely never used by Fender) and the tuners, which are good quality Japanese-made Gotohs, again never used by Fender. If you look at the finish you'll notice that there are big black oversprays on the contours - this is a common technique used to disguise the fact the body's not solid timber, but either ply or butcher-block. You'll never see this on any genuine Fender. Hope this helps - Jon.

Was I polite enough?  :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, lou24d53 said:

Please also post the reply...as I'm sure it won't be as polite as your helpful message...!! 

As you wish:

Hi Jon, no not big money. Quite a few people have mentioned this to me now and what you say is really interesting. Would you know how much this should cost please? The weight is quite heavy. 8lb 8oz.

Proper Road To Damascus sh!t right there...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I doubt it. What you can do is report the seller/item to eBay.

Yes, I realise that - but I thought I'd message the guy first - give him the chance to take it down.... he responded very quickly, telling me he was going to take it down
And thanking me for getting in touch to let him know. He took it down shortly afterwards.

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

Yes, I realise that - but I thought I'd message the guy first - give him the chance to take it down.... he responded very quickly, telling me he was going to take it down
And thanking me for getting in touch to let him know. He took it down shortly afterwards.

Well done. :)

• Thanks 1