Why become a member? ×

Buckle Rash

scoot

Well, button rash specifically - got a new gig that requires me to wear a waistcoat as part of a uniform. Given my track record of buying and selling instruments, I would like to avoid the buttons on the waistcoat scratching the rear of the bass body in order to preserve the value of the bass in a potential future selling situation. Any ideas how to go about this? I have thought about maybe some sort of sticky back felt material attached to the back of the bass as a last resort but thought I would ask if anyone here has found a way of avoiding the dreaded rash

Thanks in advance 👍

You can get a roll of sticky back plastic (Blue Peter?) from places like B&Q for about £5.00. Goes on easily, and should peel off as well. Might need to clean off any glue residue, but this shouldn't take too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it is a waistcoat without the adjuster ar the back, where it in reverse! You are complying with the band’s demand whilst no damaging the bass.

More seriously, does not Gretch have something on the back of their top bass that stops buckle rash. Can you buy something similar?

I used to cover the back of my Rickenbacker with gaffa tape to avoid buckle rash.  Worked perfectly, can't be seen from the front, lasts for years, and I even spray painted a design on the tape

As and when I finally stopped it just peeled off, and a couple of sprays and a rub down with Servisol got the sticky bits off

• Like 1

I wear a suits a lot in our Mod band, material covered buttons are the best (including style wise), plastic buttons have never really marked my bass (the odd tiny dent that you really have to catch in the light to see but I do get pretty lively with it) never have, or will, tried metal buttons. 

16 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

More seriously, does not Gretch have something on the back of their top bass that stops buckle rash. Can you buy something similar?

Gretsch certainly used to offer snap-on pads to protect the backs of their guitars. Like this:

6122pad.jpg

The only problem is one has to attach a set of snap fasteners to the body:

6122r.jpg

Back in the day Gretsch used to be quite the ones for mad ideas.

• Sad 2

23 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Get a longer strap and have the bass not just below waistcoat level, but below fly level. All the young people say it’s totally, like, rad!

250px-Robert_Trujillo_2017.jpg

If he shrugs his shoulders he's going to be singing soprano for the rest of the night.