Why become a member? ×

Feedback with Sheehan pedal

Dudgeman

I use a dual amp set up and despite many years using OD , distortion and fuzzes I have never had issues with feedback. At home I run my pedals into logic and never have issues no matter how loud but in rehearsal rooms I struggle to quell feedback when using Sheehan drive deluxe pedal. I do set the dirty amp up with a slight mid hump ( I need to to bring out the harmonics like Billy does) but I do that in logic as well...I have tried reducing amp gain and lifting amp volume, reducing amp volume and increasing level out from pedal, massively reducing level out from pedal and increasing master volume on the amp so I can mix it with the clean amp..but am still struggling... it's ok as long as I face away from the amps but it is still hovering... I think I am being dumb somewhere here so any advice on the correct approach would be great

Thanks

7 hours ago, NikNik said:

Could be the pickups? 

pick ups are new..dimarzio will powers...so fairly sure they are ok..not microphonic at all. The gain on the pedal is around 12 o'clock...which is about where it needs to be with my set up to get the sound I am after... if i drop the mid hump in the EQ it reduces it but then I lose all the articulation and it starts to get wolly sounding. It was a lot better this last rehearsal and will be fine on a bigger stage where I can get away from the amps but in a small rehearsal room it is an issue...bizarre it doesn't happen at home at all. Thanks for your help so far.

It sounds like at home you have a studio monitor type setup? Which will be very different from running into your two amp setup. You could try "ringing it out" with a parametric EQ but to be honest it sounds like there's just too much gain and/or volume. What does the feedback sound like? I quite like a bit of feedback but you do have to get used to controlling it. If it's a horrible squeal when you want silence then you could use a gate

what's the cab setup at rehearsal? Is it higher off the ground so it's exciting the body of the bass more?

I found a notch filter as used on acoustic guitar preamps killed the feedback on my mate's problematic Hofner Verithin Bass without affecting the overall tone.

12 hours ago, cheddatom said:

It sounds like at home you have a studio monitor type setup? Which will be very different from running into your two amp setup. You could try "ringing it out" with a parametric EQ but to be honest it sounds like there's just too much gain and/or volume. What does the feedback sound like? I quite like a bit of feedback but you do have to get used to controlling it. If it's a horrible squeal when you want silence then you could use a gate

Hi at home I use logic pro with yamaha Hs7s well cranked as I also have one channel octaved up distorted running into a Peavey 20w valve amp to replicate guitar and that runs fairly hot...essentially very different from rehearsal ... feedback is very high pitched ..bloody annoying. The gain thing is wierd. I have the drive at around 12 on the pedal..if I drop the drive below 12 I lose all the sound I am after... I can get shot of the feedback by slamming the input gain down on the amp but then I struggle when the pedal is off to get the required volume out of that channel. I 've seen Billy running something very similar where he is stood riggt in front of the amps with the pedal dimed, hitting ridiculous levels of harmonics with a major mid hump eq with not even a flicker of it feeding back.

on both Rigs ( trace and hartke) at the practise room the cabs are stacked...maybe I should park them side by side...see if that helps..

On 04/06/2019 at 21:50, cheddatom said:

Input gain turned down on the amp sorts it, so can't you adjust the output of the pedal to try and match the level with it off?

It seems with the trace rig I was using that if I pull down the input gain to a point where the feedback isn't an issue I had to basically run the amp flat out to get any volume to match the level of the 2nd amp and even then it was struggling...not enough headroom I guess ( not sure what the power output is) I will try that using my Marshalls as they are wahay louder...then I might be able to balance it. I am thinking about dropping the drive on the pedal and running a second drive in the clean loop on the pedal to try and get the sound that way...