Why become a member? ×

"Downgrade" from Epifani UL2 310..

nuno1959

Hi guys

59 year old bass player from Portugal here..

I like my tone to be full bodied, warm yet clear and ''piano like''/hifi but not sterile and compared to the hardware I’ve had over the years, my present set up ticks all those boxes specially as I also like practising loud at home :

Status Graphite Classic Series 1 Deluxe 4 str -> bunch of FX -> Epifani UL501 (500W@8Ohms/850W@4Ohms or so..) -> Epifani UL2 310. At the band’s rehearsal space an Epifani UL2 410…

Examples of what tones I go for among others, usually 2 or 3 bass tracks in these, plz use headphones..:

https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-50495.php

https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-45925.php

Moving from a detached house to one split in2, w/ neighbour’s living right ''next wall'' - made worse by the fact the husband works at home.. - after spending quite a bit on isolating everything as much as possible (double or triple drywall + Greenglue + double or triple 70mm Rockwool 70kg.. ) being impossible to build a room inside a room to stop sound travelling via the 2 house’s common masonry structure, I came to the conclusion I need to downgrade my cab because

1 - if it's there, I WILL use it's power.. too tempting.

2 - I need smaller cab due to space restrictions in the one room furthest /best insulated from neighbours...

3 - Bought an Eich Bassboard to complement my Sennheiser HD205 headphones but due to a motorcycle accident which mangled my ankle, I can’t use it longer than a few minutes without PAIN later, let alone unknown long term consequences using it may cause..

Having no way of trying any cabs near or far and not wanting to abuse Thomann’s/other vendors free return policies, after reading as many specs & reviews + forums posts I possibly could, I’ve compiled a short list of some I THINK could be viable for me, I would really appreciate if you could help point me in the “right direction” ?

My budget is around 500€, give or take some, 2nd hand is mighty fine, for a tamer/more compact version of the Epifani 310 if you will..

My shortlist of some apparently antagonistic cabs, from 5’’ to 12’’ drivers.

?? means I have no clue if ok/found little or nothing about them although specs suggest ok?

** means gut feeling they could replicate the Epifani 310’s tone in a “smaller scale” ?

Plz, correct me if I’m wrong..

Phil Jones Piranha C4 **

Trace Elliot Bassbox 208/Warwick WCA 208 CE ??

TC Electronic RS210 **

Glockenklang DUO 210 8Ohm **

Markbass Traveler 102P 8Ohm

Eich Amplification 110XS 4 Ohm **

Eich Amplification 112XS 4 Ohm

Eden EX-112 8 Ohms ??

Obviously the lower power cabs would be used w/ some temperance on my amp’s gain/master volume not to blow them up…

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance

Edited by nuno1959

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

If you just want to play at home and not upset the neighbours, why don't you use a headphone amp. Plug your bass, headphones and music source into the amp and there you have silent playing.

I wish I liked it as I have some nice headphones/great headphone amp but.. it just sucks..... not to mention the extra wire dangling

And of course, silent playing isn't necessary, moderate to high, listening to your hifi levels ARE acceptable/legal

Edited by nuno1959

It isn't the overall volume that's the problem. It's the fact that bass frequencies travel through the structure of the building. That is very difficult to stop/prevent. Unless you want to p1ss off your neighbour, headphones will be the only answer if you don't want to practice quietly.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

It isn't the overall volume that's the problem. It's the fact that bass frequencies travel through the structure of the building. That is very difficult to stop/prevent. Unless you want to p1ss off your neighbour, headphones will be the only answer if you don't want to practice quietly.

Tx for chipping in Dan

It seems to me that English not being my native language I obviously failed to properly explain what I'm after.

Perfect silence is NOT my goal but rather be WITHIN THE LAW, hoping that that will be enough to keep things harmonious enough.. 

They are a 50 something year old couple, no babies or elderly at home, I can hear their TV in my dinning room and kitchen, their dog barks like a maniac every so often... and I'm ok with all that. 

I have spent several thousands isolating best I could things around and have organised my living arrangements so I'll be practising in the room furthest from their place in order to minimise disturbing and that's fine by me

Now, as much as I want to keep things peaceful between neighbours, fact is at the end of the day he is as entitled to ''silence'' as I am to practice at moderate levels - as I mentioned earlier, like listening to music through my hifi...? As long as I'm within legal limits.

Said law here stipulates : 65dB between 8AM and 10PM on week days, so as long as I'm within that if that still upsets him, well.. then to be honest I couldn't care less. 

My aim is to hit a compromise where I can practice without being too loud and that's  why I'm looking to replace my Epifani 310 for another cab, one that by it's very nature still delivers the tone I like WITHOUT the capability of going SO loud since playing through the Epifani just makes it all too easy to do, specially when used to do it on a daily basis as I could in the previous property.

Past that if my practising still upsets them, all I can do is maybe give him the contact details of his local MP so he can contact them and try have the law changed according to his preferences ?...LOL...

So, back to cabs to replace the Epifani, any suggestions ? Tx

Edited by nuno1959

I use 2 Barefaced One10's when I play at home. I use one of my regular 800 watt amps, Aguilar or Thunderfunk.

I get a good sound with good gear even at very low volumes. My next door neighbour sits in the room next to where I am and hasn't mentioned bass playing yet.

5 hours ago, nuno1959 said:

Tx for chipping in Dan

It seems to me that English not being my native language I obviously failed to properly explain what I'm after.

Perfect silence is NOT my goal but rather be WITHIN THE LAW, hoping that that will be enough to keep things harmonious enough.. 

They are a 50 something year old couple, no babies or elderly at home, I can hear their TV in my dinning room and kitchen, their dog barks like a maniac every so often... and I'm ok with all that. 

I have spent several thousands isolating best I could things around and have organised my living arrangements so I'll be practising in the room furthest from their place in order to minimise disturbing and that's fine by me

Now, as much as I want to keep things peaceful between neighbours, fact is at the end of the day he is as entitled to ''silence'' as I am to practice at moderate levels - as I mentioned earlier, like listening to music through my hifi...? As long as I'm within legal limits.

Said law here stipulates : 65dB between 8AM and 10PM on week days, so as long as I'm within that if that still upsets him, well.. then to be honest I couldn't care less. 

My aim is to hit a compromise where I can practice without being too loud and that's  why I'm looking to replace my Epifani 310 for another cab, one that by it's very nature still delivers the tone I like WITHOUT the capability of going SO loud since playing through the Epifani just makes it all too easy to do, specially when used to do it on a daily basis as I could in the previous property.

Past that if my practising still upsets them, all I can do is maybe give him the contact details of his local MP so he can contact them and try have the law changed according to his preferences ?...LOL...

So, back to cabs to replace the Epifani, any suggestions ? Tx

I detect a note of irritation in your response. It ain't the cab, it's what you do with the volume control that will determine how much you annoy the neighbours. If you like the sound of your Epi' 310 (which I used to have, incidentally), I suggest you get a decent 1x10. PJB cabs (which are what I use now - I have 3 C4s and use as few/many as a job requires) are excellent if you like a clean tone. They take some driving - they're quite inefficient - and their clarity can fool you into not realising how loud you are running them. However, the point about bass frequencies travelling through structure will apply whatever cab you use. Putting a cab on thick foam to de-couple it from the floor may help.

On 02/06/2019 at 21:05, nuno1959 said:

3 - Bought an Eich Bassboard to complement my Sennheiser HD205 headphones but due to a motorcycle accident which mangled my ankle, I can’t use it longer than a few minutes without PAIN later, let alone unknown long term consequences using it may cause..

Im curious what sort of pain you experience when using a bassboard? I use mine all the time with headphones and for me it’s so much better than using an amp at home and worrying I’m annoying someone. If it’s pain from standing, why not put a chair on it. That’s what I do, it’s great!

5 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I detect a note of irritation in your response. It ain't the cab, it's what you do with the volume control that will determine how much you annoy the neighbours. If you like the sound of your Epi' 310 (which I used to have, incidentally), I suggest you get a decent 1x10. PJB cabs (which are what I use now - I have 3 C4s and use as few/many as a job requires) are excellent if you like a clean tone. They take some driving - they're quite inefficient - and their clarity can fool you into not realising how loud you are running them. However, the point about bass frequencies travelling through structure will apply whatever cab you use. Putting a cab on thick foam to de-couple it from the floor may help.

Sorry Dan, it's not at you, it's just frustration as I do love my Epi, was used to play as loud/often as I wanted to and since moving to what was supposed to be a nicer place w/ better conditions, I did spend a LOAD trying my best to isolate the place but masonry IS unforgiving and my neighbour is borderline a-hole...LOL...VERY frustrating...

This may sound funny to you but the type of music I write and play does MOVE ME when played at certain levels, all that fabulous, full bass tones going through my body.. all very primal, does wonders to my well-being

The problem for me with keeping the Epifani is that I LOVE it's tone, it's power and knowing myself, volume will go up one notch one day, then another, then another and a week later I'll have them giving me grief over it hence a smaller, lower power/volume cab that I know will blow if I push it too hard.

My respect for my gear and my wallet will format me into accepting this frustrating situation and yes, of course they ARE entitled to a degree of comfort but as I say, I'll make the extra mile until within legal limits then they can go jump off a cliff for all I care.

Interesting you mention the PJB cabs as stumbling upon them recently but never having heard one let alone played through one, I had this gut feeling from reviews/comments that they would have this full range, clean tone I'm so keen on, the C4 being one of them

As for being inefficcient I think my Epifani Ul501 amp would be gutsy enough to drive them to a decent ''home volume'' ?

Someone also suggested - rightly so, had forgotten all about.. - decoupling the cab and I have the perfect piece of 4'' thick rubber block to do so

If going down the 1x10 route, any suggestions on one such ''full range'' clean sounding cab ?

Thanks

2 hours ago, ped said:

Im curious what sort of pain you experience when using a bassboard? I use mine all the time with headphones and for me it’s so much better than using an amp at home and worrying I’m annoying someone. If it’s pain from standing, why not put a chair on it. That’s what I do, it’s great!

As I mentioned, I had this bike accident about a year ago where I dislocated my left ankle/foot backwards by about 160 degrees, tendons and soft tissues all buggered up. 

Doctors were able to put it back in place without surgery which was fantastic as surgery in these cases always leaves sequels, fact is snapping it back in place without surgery is not side effect free as well.. and recovery was a LONG nightmare !!

So one year later of doing all the ENDLESS physio, ice, etc, etc... although in everyday life I hardly get remembered by my ankle I treated it so badly, fact is if I play on the board standing (worse..) or sitting (still pretty bad) I'm left with this numb kind of pain  for a couple of days + it swells and aches for a few days more  in what I interpret as a clear ''stop doing that to me'' kind of warning ?

Which leads me to believe it might entail long term consequences if I keep doing it.. Adding the fact that the whole experience Bassboard/headphones is NOT enjoyable to me as it just doesn't hit the spot translates into my lack of interest in pursuing that route - used it a couple dozen times and am putting it up for sale to be honest.

Edited by nuno1959
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nuno1959 said:

If going down the 1x10 route, any suggestions on one such ''full range'' clean sounding cab ?

You simply have to visit a dealer and try some yourself. I could list the usual suspects, but they would be my preferences, not yours. You need to find something that suits you. I have seen 1x10 Epi's, which would be an obvious choice, but they are rare. Any of the good makes (many of them use the same drivers, usually from Eminence) are worth a look.