Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar on The Repair Shop BBC 1 now

steantval

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

Best thing is not to watch it, much as I enjoy the bits of the program I have seen on the whole, I couldn’t believe how they killed the history that bass.

Yes, the first thing I do when I buy  a bass is put on a couple of metal covers that hinder playability...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GuyR said:

Then shave and refinish the neck

I always shave in order to look smart for gigs...but on a more serious note ( and this has been debated on the earlier thread), it takes a brave luthier to take that much out of a neck.  Note sure about the set-up either, when the luthier played it it at the end, it sounded very fret-buzzy?

• Like 2

Funily enough my old business partner works on the show and gave me a heads up..( he does the silverwork and repaired a camera on the show) I jokingly said to him "should have given it to me to do"  Then watched it and wished he had. I agree adding new hardware wasnt necessary and re shaping the neck that much...very brave or a bit stupid. The thing that I found most interesting was that I think it came in unbadged ( in fact it did..just checked my recording) and left with a Fender decal on it.....Now I could be wrong but that binding looked awfully like the binding on the Japanese copies of the era...although I did see a serial and F on the neck plate...just made me chuckle....! 

just watched it yesterday, I agree adding the ashtrays was totally unnecessary, I once bought a P with them on, the first thing I did was take off the pickup cover, it really gets in the way, but a none player might think they looked good, and no mention of the string height afterwards, I know it's difficult to tell from the TV but it didn't look any lower after he'd done the work, nice story though

I took a really good look at the video.. It looked like there was a massive full length neck shim when it came in and no shim when finished. I thought at the time the neck looked a little thin at the body end. Maybe that's why the action looked high at the end as well.

• 2 months later...

You have to remember the market/demographic for this programme... the retiree heritage crafts nostalgia brigade. The opportunity to show someone using a spoke shave for 10 seconds is much more important than any work the neck might have actually needed. Similarly, the ability to say “This is restored to how it would have originally looked” to the oohs and aaaahs of a clueless punter with a daytime TV friendly back story is more important than the archaic ergonomic irrelevance of metal bridge and pickup covers...

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

On 02/06/2019 at 17:54, T-Bay said:

I couldn’t believe how they killed the history that bass.

Particularly as the luthier said at outset that he wouldn’t do anything about the buckle rash etc as to do so "it wouldn’t be your father's bass".

Then he puts the ashtrays on, when it was clear from the Hot Chocolate video clip that it didn’t have them.

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:46, TrevorR said:

You have to remember the market/demographic for this programme... the retiree heritage crafts nostalgia brigade. The opportunity to show someone using a spoke shave for 10 seconds is much more important than any work the neck might have actually needed. Similarly, the ability to say “This is restored to how it would have originally looked” to the oohs and aaaahs of a clueless punter with a daytime TV friendly back story is more important than the archaic ergonomic irrelevance of metal bridge and pickup covers...

Spot on. Waste of time to expect mainstream teevee shows - especially daytime ones - to cater for the knowledgeable. It's all about how it looks and people wanting their 15 minutes of fame (even if it costs them money). If you had something you thought was of value, would you get an expert opinion (better still, several) or ring up a TV company and invite them to shaft you?

My mom watches it. I like watching them restore the paintings. I think it odd though, the first thing most people say is how much the item means to them, I’m left wondering, if that’s the case, why has it been kept in the shed for the last 30 years?

I wonder how many of the treasured items are subsequently sold.