Why become a member? ×

Hysteria

paul_c2

Anyone any experience with (trying to) cover this tune, by Muse? Did you want to do it, then found it never quite worked out in rehearsal so ditched it? Or did you perform it, did it go well or any regrets etc?

I guess if not "Hysteria" which is obviously quite a well-known Muse song, then the others to do which everyone will recognise are either Knights of Cydonia or Uprising, I guess? - I've discounted "Plug in Baby" already because its too dependent on the guitar riff.

It used to go down well, even without the right effects (I think I just used a big muff). Need to watch the tempo though. I also played it depping with another band, far too fast and although I could keep up it sounded terrible!

I spent a lot of practice time playing the Hysteria riff with a metronome to build up right hand stamina. We also did New Born, which took even more work. Knights is another stamina song - we never did it live though because the singer could never find the first note...

Good luck!

It works really well if the tempo is adhered too. The tempo is actually not fast but the 16th note bass pattern gives the illusion of speed overall. I’ve seen bands start waaaay too quickly leaving the bassist struggling to keep up. Try notching it back to say 70bpm-ish to get the sound tight with the band :)

Effects wise I’d reach for my Helix and dial in a sound which will get very close.

I used to do it in a previous band a few years back, it always went down well but as has been mentioned, keep the speed in check. It's all too easy to let adrenaline get the better of you and start it too fast. 

I got pretty close to the sound using my Line6 X3. As you can run two completely separate signal paths with these I had one channel with the effects and one clean, albeit with some octaver, to keep it punchy and not too muddy. 

I also played it a few years back in an old band. My gear wasn’t as good back then & when the rest of the band kicked in, the bass was just lost in the mix which just made it too difficult. We did both Uprising & Starlight though & they were great.

Much respect if you've done New Born live and pulled it off - did the same guy do the piano and guitar? Its kinda technical to achieve the same (and distinctive) sounds on the guitar, due to the effect(s) - pitch shifter/harmoniser of some kind??

I found the sheet music to Hysteria and its coming along nicely, obviously will need a little more practice but I'm not too far off up to tempo already so no worries there. I have a Boss GT-1B so will probably use that; although the amp has switchable gain too.

No Stew that was me! How are you?? I also played in a full on Muse tribute for about 5 years. Hysteria started out as a clean channel and a big muff in the early days (ok) moved on to Big muff and Animato but missed the clean...then expanded to Animato, big muff blended (ls2) and a clean channel...Huge sound. Then we started playing to a click so I added a prerecorded synth bass to the bass mix..and that was as close as I have ever heard. Playing to a click really helped the groove...too easy to play too fast. Uprising..PIB and knights were always crowd favourites. Loved the challenge of replicating Chris' tones but it all got a bit silly towards the end..once the Misa Kitara came onto the scene I thought "enough now" lol....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dudgeman said:

No Stew that was me! How are you?? I also played in a full on Muse tribute for about 5 years. Hysteria started out as a clean channel and a big muff in the early days (ok) moved on to Big muff and Animato but missed the clean...then expanded to Animato, big muff blended (ls2) and a clean channel...Huge sound. Then we started playing to a click so I added a prerecorded synth bass to the bass mix..and that was as close as I have ever heard. Playing to a click really helped the groove...too easy to play too fast. Uprising..PIB and knights were always crowd favourites. Loved the challenge of replicating Chris' tones but it all got a bit silly towards the end..once the Misa Kitara came onto the scene I thought "enough now" lol....

Agree, the Kitara was xcellent for Muse, not so for me.... just too unpractical.

43 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Did a Muse tribute act, so pretty much did all the “hits”. My favourites were Hysteria, KoCydonia, Stockholm Syndrome (a real right hand killer btw)

Stockholm...New Born and Butterflies and Hurricanes not sure my right hand ever recovered...now doing Sheehan stuff...gone from the sublime to the ridiculous...

People always used to Wow at Hysteria but I always found it relatively easy to play but if I even stopped for a second to think about what i was doing in New Born my left hand would almost instantly cramp up...especially during the long section in the middle...tough song...got easier after 2 gigs every weekend for 4 years ...but still...

Great tunes though..still miss it. 

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Slight thread hi-jack (again), but I always thought Fillip off Showbiz was a great tune and can’t understand why they never did it live more often.

We used to do it... thought it was a fantastic song..we also did Fury and Glorious ( which I bloody love) but they never went down particularly well

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dudgeman said:

I remember when we met. You were investigating new effects in an attempt to keep up with the man himself. The Trace is still in use BTW! 

19 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I remember when we met. You were investigating new effects in an attempt to keep up with the man himself. The Trace is still in use BTW! 

Great to hear it is still going. You still playing in a Madness trib? 

Yep, I'd agree with the above - I played it twice over the weekend in two different pubs: in the first, it went down well, in the second it was met with blank indifference. It's nice to have in the arsenal, but it needs the right audience.

Oh, and I've got the sound nailed with my Helix Stomp 😀

I've performed it a couple of times.

I used a Boss LS2 to split my signal. In 1 loop I had a Digitech Bass Synth Wah, and in the other an EHX Metal Muff.

Took some tweeking but it sounded excellent.

One of the performances was a drunken jam that was on youtube, but I can't find it now. Maybe it was taken down by the person who filmed it.

We do Plug In Baby which we all love doing as we all get to be really noisy 🙂 Goes down well too. OP is right about the guitar riff though, if you drop off at all it's hard to get back on track.

Similar to above I now use my BSW (setting 4 with most dials at min - until recently was using my EHX re-issue Green Muff) in an LS2 with clean signal blended in - but then that blended signal into my wah pedal for the verse bits and no wah for the chorus/louder bits.

we use to play Hysteria, Uprising and Madness. First two are ok, Used a B3K plus active bass. TBF I’m not really shooting for the exact tone on the song but it works. Madness we probably did twice, me using a Source Audio Manta Filter.  Very hard to make it sound right and I think I sucked at both instance. 😛 

Edited by ordep