Why become a member? ×

12 String for a poor leftie? :(

SirHarveyXXI

Davie504 did a video on youtube of a beautiful melodic bass solo with a 12 string (extended range) as shown below, and I've looked for months for a left handed one! No signs! I've even looked for the hardware so I can make one myself, also nothing! Does anyone have ANY information at all to help me with this? I've been dying to get an extended range bass, whether it's 8 or 12 string, so any information would be greatly appreciated for either! The only 12 string I've actually been able to find is right handed and it's £600, so I don't wanna have to pay that kind of money just to strip it down for the parts 😂

many thanks!

4 hours ago, blablas said:

When I wanted to make my 12 string I also ran into the problem that especially bridges for 12 strings are nearly non existent. However the Schaller 8 string bridge will accommodate 12 strings without any modifications!ffG47oR.jpg

The beast.
mk4_4.jpg

More Pictures of the finished result.
Build diary in the build diaries section here on BassChat.

That, sir, is completely ridiculous and impractical. It's right up my street!!! Great work. 

On 02/06/2019 at 08:04, blablas said:

When I wanted to make my 12 string I also ran into the problem that especially bridges for 12 strings are nearly non existent. However the Schaller 8 string bridge will accommodate 12 strings without any modifications!ffG47oR.jpg

The beast.
mk4_4.jpg

More Pictures of the finished result.
Build diary in the build diaries section here on BassChat.

Thank you very much!! I'll be sure to read through it all and attempt it myself in due time!

On 02/06/2019 at 01:24, SirHarveyXXI said:

Davie504 did a video on youtube of a beautiful melodic bass solo with a 12 string (extended range) as shown below

Actually that's not what an extended range bass is. It is a regular 4-string neck with octave strings, so it has exactly the same amount of available notes as a 4-string would have. An extended range bass with 12 strings would look like this:

legend-XII-bass-guitar-2.jpg

7 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Actually that's not what an extended range bass is. It is a regular 4-string neck with octave strings, so it has exactly the same amount of available notes as a 4-string would have. An extended range bass with 12 strings would look like this:

legend-XII-bass-guitar-2.jpg

my bad! I thought it was the other way around

6 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

But you can't play the octave strings individually, so it's much more limited than an ERB. 

I didn't say you could, but it's still an ERB in terms of sonic range, as you can hear in the above vid :)

Edited by Beedster