Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones BG400 vs Markbass LM3

6feet7

Ok, I play my electric bass (function band) through a MB LM3 with 121 and 151 cabs. I have also just got a PJ Compact suitcase BG400, that is 300w internal or 500w with a C4 cab or 575w with a C8 cab, for my instrumental double bass band.

I love the compactness of the Phil Jones stuff so was wondering whether I could get rid of the MB amp/cabs totally, get myself a PJ extension cab and that would cover both bands. 

Has anyone used the Phil Jones setup in an electric situation? Even though we are a function band we can get quite loud and rocky in certain situations, so it’s got to be able to rock as well as pop.

I changed from a MB2 with Schroeder 2x12L to my current PJ rig (Flightcase + PB300). When comparing side by side, I found they were very similar in voicing, but the PJ rig is more refined/cleaner (lets the instrument's sound come through) and of course lighter/compact. Live, I have the Flightcase at around 1-2 o'clock and the PB300 at 12 o'clock. Definitely loud enough for my 2 bands and plenty to spare if required.

• Thanks 1

A BG400 plus a C4 will definitely do the job as far as volume is concerned provided the rest of the band are not out and out hooligans (which, if you are a function band, they almost certainly aren't). As ez says, tonally, they are refined and clean. You may not be able to drive an additonal C8 with your BG400. I think PJB specify a minimum of 8 ohms for extension speakers (I could be wrong). I use between one and three C4s with an AG700 depending on the size of the job and love the quality of sound I get.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hi

i had the MB210 and traveller 151 and it was fantastic.  Health scare and mental moment I sold it and a few weeks later went for the bg400 and extension cab.The sound out of it was astonishing but I found it had to be pretty much cranked up all the way to match the MB at 1/2 volume. the Pj is pretty venue intolerant as well and does not do well in big pubs etc. Fantastic in smaller venues. Bigger ones will need you to use the house pa which if that’s crap then so are u

ive gone and repurchased the MB rig as it does it all even though Pj is less than half the size.