Why become a member? ×

Bass Sounds II

petebassist

Well what I can say is I liked the Fodera the least, followed by the Stingray, Jazz And Corvette. Not that that means anything of course, as it’s quite possible to make any bass sound pants in the wrong context with the wrong eq, and it’s all down to personal taste anyway.

Forced myself to watch it and here's my conclusions:

1. Don't be "that guy" who brings 34 basses to a gig
2. All basses sound a bit different
3. (Almost) all basses can "do the job"
4. Some, clearly, have such a distinctive tone that its going to suit a very limited kind of music, and stick out like a sore thumb in others
5. Some basses look horrible

• Like 2

In my mind episode III - Revenge of the Sixth (string) was the best followed by episode V - The U-Bass Strikes back with episode II - Attack of the (Rickenbacker) Clones a close third. Don’t bother with episode I - The Phantom (power) Menace. 

(Sorry, very bored on a train)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

In my mind episode III - Revenge of the Sixth (string) was the best followed by episode V - The U-Bass Strikes back with episode II - Attack of the (Rickenbacker) Clones a close third. Don’t bother with episode I - The Phantom (power) Menace. 

(Sorry, very bored on a train)

Not forgetting Episode 4 (string) - A New Hope. The one where everyone realises they should have just stuck with that P bass in the first place and saved themselves a fortune.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, 4000 said:

Well what I can say is I liked the Fodera the least, followed by the Stingray, Jazz And Corvette. Not that that means anything of course, as it’s quite possible to make any bass sound pants in the wrong context with the wrong eq, and it’s all down to personal taste anyway.

The "problem" with active basses in these videos is that there's always a guy who, instead of using flat EQ controls, cranks it up. The Stingray obviously had either terrible fret buzzing or the treble cranked on the EQ. A flat EQ Stingray would never sound like that.

Same with the Corvette...jazz music and the guy comes in with a low B shattering the halls.

I mean, these videos are all fun and stuff but showing off these basses while playing different licks on each of them is never a good comparison.

Fun video? Yes. Good bass comparison? Hell no.

Its better than a lot though, as least there was a backing track. I've lost count of the number of guitar review/tutorial/feature youtube videos where its the guitar on its own, ie no context of how it fits around other instruments, etc, when its desparately needed. Heck, even when "That Pedal Show" did a feature on 2 guitars playing together, it was only the last 1/4 of the video at the end where they actually played with a bass/drum backing track. 

35 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Its better than a lot though, as least there was a backing track. I've lost count of the number of guitar review/tutorial/feature youtube videos where its the guitar on its own, ie no context of how it fits around other instruments, etc, when its desparately needed. Heck, even when "That Pedal Show" did a feature on 2 guitars playing together, it was only the last 1/4 of the video at the end where they actually played with a bass/drum backing track. 

There's been a load of comment on how gear vreviews shouldn't be done (some of it mine) so you've now got me wondering whether Basschat shouldn't start it's own YouTube channel?

If we can organise a podcast, I'm sure we could get people in to do reviews that follow a consistent format.

Clearly, some of us are less photogenic than others so perhaps the actual presentation might be done by a small subset of the community but this could allow us to share our collective wisdom for the greater good.

Just a thought.....

2 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Clearly, some of us are less photogenic than others so perhaps the actual presentation might be done by a small subset of the community but this could allow us to share our collective wisdom for the greater good.

"Collective wisdom". . . that's just a posh phrase for a "personal preference" decided by a committee and to an outsider the result would be as relevant as any other comparison video.

I don't know the player in this video but I though he did a good job of highlighting the sounds of and differences between these instruments. Yes, he could have EQ's every bass differently, but that wasn't the point.

On 31/05/2019 at 12:21, 4000 said:

beat me to it - was just about to say how the fod is the least interesting!

whodathought that an eb3 mudbucker would sound better than the hallowed foderas  🤣

Edited by steve-bbb