Why become a member? ×

NBD - Epiphone Thunderbird

Unknown_User

Just had word that the bass I have just got from eBay has arrived.  Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro in white.  So that's my evening mapped out! 

I've always loved Thunderbirds but never had one.  I've been wanting one of this particular model for around a year now so I'm pretty excited.

The next few hours in the office are going to drag even more than normal.....

• Like 2

I worked on one of these a few weeks back, once it was set up properly it was loverly:friends:

Fretwork was good and hardware all worked. The only thing that let it down for me was the electronics, if it were mine I would have been swapping out the pots and wiring.

Hope you have a great evening, getting to know it. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gary mac said:

I worked on one of these a few weeks back, once it was set up properly it was loverly:friends:

Fretwork was good and hardware all worked. The only thing that let it down for me was the electronics, if it were mine I would have been swapping out the pots and wiring.

Hope you have a great evening, getting to know it. 

Thanks!  Out of interest what was up with the electronics and what would you have swapped it out for?

Just cheap little pots and the thinnest of wire. It all worked but had become crackly so I was in there cleaning the pots with switch cleaner.

I'm not saying that it's an absolutely necessary upgrade but it is one that I would certainly do, if I were planning on gigging with it.

I've worked on quite a few Epiphone guitars and basses, the electrics have been the weak point and the main reason that they have ended up on my bench. 

• Thanks 1

I've got one of these. Bought it from a guy on this site at the start of the year. It instantly became my "go to" bass. Amazingly slim and fast neck (for my small hands), Gibson Humbucker pickups, Gotoh tuners, Babicz bridge and professionally set up. Sweet! I hope you enjoy yours as much :)

2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a 20 minute noodle on it when I came home from work.  It sounds lovely.  The best I can describe the sound as is wooden.  In a satisfying "thwack of leather on willow" sort of a way.  Not a "walking out of a Hugh Grant movie" kind of a way.  Really punchy and with a bit of growl. 

I will be interested to see how my pedals go with it but it didn't seem like it would really need much messing about with. 

Using an Orange Four Stroke head and 1x15 cab it was nice and full and clear on the high notes.  Surprisingly booming on the E string.

Seems like a very long instrument (get your minds out of the gutter) compared to my Squire P and kit self-build J.  Never played such a thin neck either (my J has a slightly chunkier neck than my P).  I thought it would be weird when I first saw it but I like it.

The only downside so far is the painted back of the neck is a bit clingier than an oiled wood one, but it's only a minor thing.

So far I love it!

4 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Not sure if I have the cajones for that!

You can use a washing up scouring pad, the ones with yellow sponge and green rough bit. Rub the back of your neck with the green side, will remove some of the gloss leaving a smoother, less sticky neck. It won't remove any of the black paint like sandpaper might!

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm just about to put one up for sale. Damn it's a difficult decision to part with it. Especially as I won't get much for it. Reading this thread has not helped.

Still, too many basses not enough cash so...

Well I suppose I do need a spare....

• 4 weeks later...

Just caught this ... currently gigging a Classic Pro (because my Gibson got knocked off its stand recently and needs a set-up now). The CP is a worthy stand-in, if slightly chunkier and heavier. Personally, and unlike anyone else in the world apparently, I like the 3-point bridge. Maybe it's just what I've got used to. And I've swapped the pickups on both of the aforesaid out for those Chinese chrome ones. I like them - word on the street is that they approach the "old" T-bird sound.

I was on the point of getting a Vintage Pro, but recently spotted a white 1992 Gibson for sale. Been on the lookout for one of those for years, and I managed to get a damn good price on this one. So the VP goes back on the "wanted" list for now ... :)

All things being equal, the white Gibby gets next weekend's gig.

Classic Pro chrome.jpg

• 3 weeks later...