Why become a member? ×

Grateful Dudes in Germany

FinnDave

We (the Grateful Dudes) are on a little trip just now. Four of us met up at Folkestone yesterday morning, travelled through the channel tunnel and then drove for 13 hours to reach the town of Plauen in Germany. It is on what was the GDR, not far from Leipzig and Dresden (and Prague). Interesting drive with the four of us plus gear for six, but not amps or drum kits as they are being supplied. Lot of traffic, frequent hold ups as today is a holiday in most of Europe.

Sleeping two to a room in the centre of town, we will go to the venue, the Malzhaus, this afternoon to set up and sound check. The two remaining Dudes will be flying in this evening and hopefully will make it in time for the first of our three evenings playing here at the Playing in the Band festival. 

Looking forward to meeting the German heads and other musicians that will be here.

• Like 7

That area around Leipzig and Dresden is a great part of the world. I have some friends from that part of Germany, I love going over to visit them and experiencing their culture. Lots of fantastic people there. If you can, try to get to see Halle, Leipzig and especially Dresden when you're not on duty. The trains are quick, cheap and reliable. Enjoy your trip, it sounds like it could be a great adventure.

Enjoy it.

My band are heading to Hamburg on Wednesday for a short run of dates in that area. Love playing in Europe, so very different to gigging in the UK. Next time you're going through the tunnel, get yourself to the burger stand in the parking area (where you queue to drive ion to the train) and treat yourself to a 'dog and egg'.

Perfect way to set yourself up for the journey!!

If you have an interest in WW2 Colditz Castle isn’t far from Leipzig. We went there a few years back when we played in Halle and I was so chuffed that my hobby enabled me to visit I place I’d read about for years.

23 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

What a long strange trip that will be!

I find that getting out of the UK is always a pleasant lesson in just how little respect musicians get over here. Enjoy!

Quite, it’s really a different world the way we get treated overseas, proper meals, drinks all night be they alcohol, soft drinks or tea/coffee, plus thank yous at the end of the night for playing. And many promoters also book accommodation for the bands as well.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

If you have an interest in WW2 Colditz Castle isn’t far from Leipzig. We went there a few years back when we played in Halle and I was so chuffed that my hobby enabled me to visit I place I’d read about for years.

Stayed overnight in Colditz 2 years ago heading down towards Brno for MotoGP. Some very clever p.o.w in what they made especially the glider upstairs, worth a look & makes you wonder

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

We (the Grateful Dudes) are on a little trip just now. Four of us met up at Folkestone yesterday morning, travelled through the channel tunnel and then drove for 13 hours to reach the town of Plauen in Germany. It is on what was the GDR, not far from Leipzig and Dresden (and Prague). Interesting drive with the four of us plus gear for six, but not amps or drum kits as they are being supplied. Lot of traffic, frequent hold ups as today is a holiday in most of Europe.

I've driven the E40/A4 a few times, but usually did that Dresden bit in the dark.

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Quite, it’s really a different world the way we get treated overseas, proper meals, drinks all night be they alcohol, soft drinks or tea/coffee, plus thank yous at the end of the night for playing. And many promoters also book accommodation for the bands as well.

Aye - that's why we play almost all our gigs on the continent.

Northern France, Belgium and Holland we drive to, taking our own backline - promoters put us up, with our own rooms, in Holiday Inn style hotels - we get at least one proper meal a day thrown in - on top of the hotel breakfast. In the rest of Europe we fly, the promoter pays for flights, minimum 3* hotels with our own rooms and hires backline and drum kit (as close as our tech rider specifies)..we're always picked up from the airport and returned to the airport in ample time to fly home, as well as bussed around between, hotel and venue, radio if required etc....last month, while in Italy,we were even taken on a detour to the leaning tower of Pisa rather than going straight to the airport. Every gig seems to have more beer and whisky and soft drinks and water than we can consume.

It almost feels like being proper rock stars!

We're flying to Berlin next weekend where we'll get bussed down to Leipzig to play at Wave Gotik Treffen - headlining Haus Leipzig on the last night of the festival (Mon 10).

Edited by Twigman
  • Like 1

So far, I can only agree with the above, we’ve been treated very well   by both promoters and audience. As a result we played a cracking couple of sets last night, but I was surprised to find it was quarter to three in the morning when we finished! Walked back through the deserted town centre to our hotel, about ten minutes,  and slept well. We are playing nothing twice over the three nights, so a different set tonight, and it looks very strong, looking forward to playing it. We’re first on tonight, so might get back to the hotel before midnight.

• Like 3

One more (Saturday) night to play - we opened the festival on Thursday and tonight we close it, followed by a few hours sleep and an early start for the 850 or so Km drive to Calais, with another 150 miles in my own car from Folkestone to home. 

• Like 2

Got home just before one last night, after a 17 1/2 hour drive* - mostly as a passenger as keyboard player drove us from Plauen to Calais, then I collected my car in Folkestone and completed the journey.

Great week, starting from our Hebden Bridge gig on the Bank Holiday Sunday and finishing the following Saturday with our third consecutive night in Plauen. Back to normal life today, though.

* In Grateful Dead terms - that's at least three Dark Stars AND a Playing in the Band!

• Like 5