Why become a member? ×

Sandpaper on a Pickguard?

I've just got hold of a new pickguard and filed it down to size since it was a little big around the control plate. There are still some slight flaky edges along the top so was going to use sandpaper to smooth it out. Is this okay to do without damaging my pickguard? If so, what grade sandpaper should I use? Thanks in advance. 

Yes sandpaper will work on the edges, but you’ll have to remove the scratches after if it’s on a visible edge, which means you’ll probably need to work through a few grades. Alternatively a scraper works wonders on pickguard material and won’t leave any scratches. A Stanley blade or single edge razor blade will do as your scraper. Finish off with 0000 steel wool, but keep well away from any pickups.

Edited by Manton Customs

Hard to say without seeing it but generally anything above 600 grit will be more like polishing the edge. If what you’re trying to remove is minor you could start at that, but if there’s any actual shaping left to do, you could start as coarse as 180.

Use it on a small block (like a rubber eraser) if you want to keep the edge square.