Why become a member? ×

GAS-ing for a fretless for AGES and then....

donslow

Interested. What is it?
I've got a fretless that I rarely use - just noodle with it really, and have recorded with it
Think I've only used it live twice - and only for one or two songs at that.... But I wouldn't want to be without a fretless now :)

EDIT: Don't forget to post some pics

Edited by Marc S

I got my first fretless about 18 months ago.

At first I was doing a lot of àrsing about with slides and vibrato, which is a lot of fun, but what really led me to me getting to grips with the whole intonation thing and automatically fretting the board in the right places was just playing the same lines that I play on a fretted.

Never owned a fretless before, never played one, just had a massive GAS for one in the collection, now I have one, no idea what to do with it! Anyway, without further ado....

As I believe, started life as a black, fretted squire MB4, neck stamp is feint but looks like May 2002

has been defretted, and body stripped of its blackness, the color of the body now is closer to a dark butterscotch than the pictures will allow you to see, some age related marks and the defret job doesn’t look the nicest in places, although smooth all round, but nothing to quibble about considering the price I paid for it, it works

action needs sorting out, currently 5.9mm at the 12th and 6.7mm at the last fret, action at the nut seems about as low as it’s going to get, I suspect the action is mostly due to the massive saddles on the bridge, will see if I can get hold of something smaller and see how that works

44EDBB74-5F9B-4DB2-8AD6-0D07C9CE649E.thumb.jpeg.f66b79462a1f5cf5d3cfcd5828186f3d.jpeg

0FF5D868-D689-4FBB-95C3-06408C6B33F5.thumb.jpeg.06fd3711b93e9909dc8035ab4292c8df.jpeg

C0F7761B-890C-489A-8EDF-6AAFE5DA87C5.thumb.jpeg.6560043893459c883a59b0b940258ecf.jpeg

3B2EE0B5-7A38-4F48-B1C1-012A2D14BD81.thumb.jpeg.4dc50057048921b430898242406fef74.jpeg

In in the same day, also acquired, for an equally good price an Ibanez SR300, I originally learnt to play bass on an SR800le but have since become a precision man but figured this’ll be nice for a little variation and familiarity, it’s in good nick, all works, some minor body damage but nothing to concern myself about, again, considering what I paid

image.thumb.jpg.24c1ec23fa64a9dd7e74fc89d7d57ff7.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.b27132b686582c91902c5ff206634a7a.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.cfa7e319e9f1fc4f69a8d486eb97da82.jpg

Edited by donslow
  • Like 2

Pop a shim in the neck pocket of the fretless - this will angle it back a little. A small tilt makes a fairly big difference at the bridge, and will bring the action down & give some adjustability to the saddles.

Also check for relief in the neck - typically on a fretless you'll be looking to get it pretty much dead flat.

35 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Pop a shim in the neck pocket of the fretless - this will angle it back a little. A small tilt makes a fairly big difference at the bridge, and will bring the action down & give some adjustability to the saddles.

Also check for relief in the neck - typically on a fretless you'll be looking to get it pretty much dead flat.

+1 for a shim. Cheaper than new bridge pieces, a piece of cardboard will do it.

Shim was the first thing I tried but was looking at best part of 3mm of shim before I could get any decent adjustability on it, at which point the neck screws were struggling to sit in any decent amount of meat in the neck heel

the saddles on the bridge are massive, I’ve not seen any this big before so I suspect changing those would help a lot, other options I had considered were recessing the bridge into the body so it sits flush

neck is dead straight currently so no further adjustment needed there

I think I have another bbot bridge in my spares box so will try that over the weekend and see what difference it makes