Why become a member? ×

Recommended me a hard case for a P bass

James Nada

Hi

As the title says I'm looking for a hard case for my Fender P.  It should be as compact as possible.  Would a Hiscox be a good bet?

Would also be interested in recommendations/opinions on the alternative option of a very protective gig bag.

I don't need anything to tour the world with, just a decent case for protecting the bass when filling up a car for gigging every few weeks.

Cheers

Edited by James Nada
Typo

For gigs where there are a few bands gear all in a tiny space, or for packed cars with a lot of gear it has to be a Hiscox case. In those situations it`s inevitable that the case will be knocked over or will have something fall on it/slide onto it. Be prepared and go Hiscox, not particularly heavy, nor particularly bulky but incredibly strong and offer great protection.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I have a few Hiscox cases - more than adequate as cases. My only possible gripe is that they don't stack very well. If you have more than one bass think about a rectangular case.

It's a P Bass - who needs more than one P Bass? 😏

Hiscox are very good.  I prefer the fitted SKB ones as they fit a P bass quite snugly inside and the latches seem tougher but that's just my preference.  I am by no means lightweight (100kg +/-) and have been known to stand on both cases, with basses inside, to prove a point about how tough they are.

Aye - hiscox lite flite are the industry standard for strong hard cases that are still light enough to carry easily. 

Otherwise, semi rigid gig bag crossovers such as Protec Contego and the Gator equivalent are both very good - decent protection (but less strong than a Hiscox) lots of pockets and straps to carry on your back. 

Ive had both but just have the Hiscox now. It's more protection than I need usually, but handy for the rare occasions I need to fly with a bass in the hold.  

Edited by bassbiscuits

I have various bass cases and always grab the lightest case.  I don't like hard cases (heavy and requires to be put down flat on stage) and very rarely use one.  But sure, if all your gear is ending up in a van with amps and drums then a rigid case is the lowest risk option.  I'm saying this in case you buy one, like me, and then never use it!

Peace

Davo

• Like 1

Although I have a couple of Hiscox cases (as everyone else has said, industry standard etc), for the last few years I've used one of these - https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Bass-Guitar-Foam-Case-by-Gear4music/C87

Although obviously not as tough as a Hiscox, I've found it to be a great compromise between the convenience of a gig bag with the protection of a hard case. Mine has been everywhere, and because it is so light it makes it so easy to take with me into venues and hotels when we stay over on gigs. Amazingly good protection for your bass, mine still looks like new after 4 years on the road. If you're going to gigs in your car, it will be more than adequate and the shaped design makes it fairly compact.

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

Does anyone else remember the days when Brynn Hiscox actually built guitars for a living (astonishing lute-backed acoustic instruments) and the cases were just a sideline of his?

I'd forgotten that until I read your post. Found this -

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/brynn-hiscox-acoustic/5383

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Bass Guitar Magazine did a round up of 'best' hard cases at various price points recently (it was the one with Chris Childs on the front). Of them all, this one caught my eye for its practicability https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=13&o=&offset=&c=84&s=75

I have two of those. One with the old style metal clips on the side and one of the current model with the strap.

They are useless:-

1) None of my gig bags were small enough to fit inside unless I removed the foam that's glued to the inside of the case.

2) The 'locking' clips on the side of the old model would easily come undone and did on a flight once

3) The strap on the current model can easily come undone - I didn't ever try to use this for transporting a bass as I couldn't get it to stay 'locked'

So I have 2 - 1 of each type sitting around at home, free to anyone who wants to collect them.

Edited by Twigman
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Twigman said:

I have two of those. One with the old style metal clips on the side and one of the current model with the strap.

They are useless:

That’s a great ‘heads-up’, thanks for the review. One to be avoided obviously. Shame, it seems like such a good idea and you’d think someone like SKB would be more on the ball.