Why become a member? ×

The ultimate JB sound (for me)

Hi everyone,

After my Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass (Japan) was stolen, I am trying to find again that jazz bass sound. And I can't.

On the soundclip that follows (it's only 25' seconds) I have THAT SOUND, playing with my psych-rock band. I use full the neck pup and 25% the bridge pup.

Any thoughts about finding that sound again (considering that my budget is about 700-750 euros)?   

Sounds like a generic bass to me, and to 99.9% of people who will ever hear the track. Could be Jazz, Precision, 'Ray, even a Ric. Great example of how we get really obsessed over something that, in real terms, isn't there :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Sounds like a generic bass to me, and to 99.9% of people who will ever hear the track. Could be Jazz, Precision, 'Ray, even a Ric. Great example of how we get really obsessed over something that, in real terms, isn't there :)

Wow! Not even Hitler spoke on behalf of a 99.9%. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Beedster said:

You know – the first thing I thought was that it sounded like a Ric. The bass in the recording has a honk to it that is prevalent in Ric’s.

Ok, had a listen and I don't hear a p bass tone as others have suggested though I see why they would have thought that, there is a very specific quality unique to the mids in a p bass  and that I am not hearing in the soundclip.  Not sure what bass to recommend for that sound but maybe @Reggaebass suggestion of fender 62RI is a good place to start, I am hearing a warm tone with not a lot going on in the upper frequencies so I am thinking something with vintage voiced pickups and the right strings will get you there, I am guessing it is either flatwounds or nickel rounds with some highs rolled off in the clip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

That sounds very similar to my fender 62RI stack knob jazz bass, it has a different tone to my other jazzes 🙂

So what about a fender Flea.  Jazz neck, stacked knobs... nearly in budget if you can get in used condition? 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your bass has been stolen.

To my ears it sounds like a p bass with tone rolled off a bit with flat wounds. I hear occasional bite/growl like nearly new flats but not quite new.

Surely the sound can be achieved with some amp eq settings and comp.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Panos Bobolas said:

No guys, it's a Japanese Fender JB Marcus Miller. Maybe one of I kind, I don't know... 

We know that, but if you're looking for that specific tone a Precision bass might be your best bet. You could use a Jazz Bass with Custom Shop pickups - they have that inherent midrange in them that sounds like that.

There's lots of Precision basses with Jazz necks out there as well if that's your issue.