Why become a member? ×

Tower of Power gig- with no bass player!

EJWW

Saw Tower of Power tonight at Brum town hall. 

Great performance by a band consisting of consummate professionals. 

Bass player off sick therefore no bass player. 

I am a fool because I bought the ticket to see my hero Rocco Prestia live despite him having retired years ago but I decided that it would be a gig not to be missed. 

But no bass player at all?!

Can't get my head round it, if Dave Garibaldi was absent you can be sure they would hire a replacement drummer, but the bass player is off and they don't bother?

What does this say about the way our investment is perceived by the music industry?

11 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Saw Tower of Power tonight at Brum town hall. 

Great performance by a band consisting of consummate professionals. 

Bass player off sick therefore no bass player. 

I am a fool because I bought the ticket to see my hero Rocco Prestia live despite him having retired years ago but I decided that it would be a gig not to be missed. 

But no bass player at all?!

Can't get my head round it, if Dave Garibaldi was absent you can be sure they would hire a replacement drummer, but the bass player is off and they don't bother?

What does this say about the way our investment is perceived by the music industry?

Out of all the bands out there TOP would have the hardest time filling any of their guys with deps. 

I'm struggling with Rocco retiring, however the new guy is good 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

59 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Did the keyboard player use Bass pedals? 

The keyboard player provided the bass and he did a pretty decent job. I looked out for bass pedals but saw none. 

It was incredibly disappointing when the realisation dawned on me that there was to be no bass guitarist on stage. I was half expecting a surprise appearance by Rocco but when it became clear this was not going to happen I asked the sound engineer what the deal was with the bass and he explained everything. 

As good a job as the keyboardist did I feel short- changed. I wonder if there will be the same problem at the gig in Manchester tonight?

• Like 1

This is interesting, you knew you weren't seeing Rocco, and the keyboard player did a good job at playing the lines and so ‘bass’ was still present in the songs, but you were still disappointed.

Does this suggest that we (and I count myself with this), are more interested in the instrument/player than in the concept of low-end contribution to the music as a whole? I remember going to see Bernard Purdie at the Jazz cafe, trio with the organ player providing the bass via pedals. I was disappointed at first, but soon forgot about it when I realized the thing I loved was still very much present. I took a guitarist friend to see Richard Bona, and for that gig there was no guitarist, he was disappointed and really couldn't get over it lol.

Also, I don’t think it shows any representation of their views of the bass that they didn’t replace him, that’s actually quite offensive to the rest of the band suggesting that IMO. I suspect there simply wasn’t time to bring in a dep! 

Si

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sibob said:

This is interesting, you knew you weren't seeing Rocco, and the keyboard player did a good job at playing the lines and so ‘bass’ was still present in the songs, but you were still disappointed.

Does this suggest that we (and I count myself with this), are more interested in the instrument/player than in the concept of low-end contribution to the music as a whole? 

As I said above it was a good gig despite the lack of bass player and his absence seemed to have no effect on the crowd who unmistakably loved the show. 

But if you went to see an orchestra having paid full price for your ticket and the cellos or some other parts were missing you might feel a bit short changed wouldn't you, even if the rest of the orchestra managed to cover up the missing parts somehow?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EJWW said:

As I said above it was a good gig despite the lack of bass player and his absence seemed to have no effect on the crowd who unmistakably loved the show. 

But if you went to see an orchestra having paid full price for your ticket and the cellos or some other parts were missing you might feel a bit short changed wouldn't you, even if the rest of the orchestra managed to cover up the missing parts somehow?

Well let’s call it like for like though, ultimately, in that example, only Cellists would feel annoyed in most cases I think. Assuming the Cello part is effectively covered by other string instruments (so as to create a similar timbre), then those who simply enjoy the music, and not the mechanics of how it’s made will simply not care if Cellists are missing :)

Si

21 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Just goes to show that bass guitarists are not as indispensable as we would like to think.

The only essential bass guitarists are those who also sing and/or are the major song writers for the band.

You've got a point there.

I once saw a theatre show based on Meat Loaf tunes with a story inspired by Bat out of hell. It was very well done and had a great sound - no bass player. I think it was sequenced rather than the keys doing it.

In the real Meat Loaf band the bass player is Kasim Sulton - and his main job was actually as musical director of the show. 

Meat Loaf bass parts are not complex, so it wouldn't surprise me if Sulton took the bass role as an additional element rather than hiring another player. He's is a very good player, but I bet he earns more by being musical director for big shows.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2019 at 02:42, EJWW said:

I don't know the story on TOPs missing bass player. I'm sure Emilio was not happy about it.

Sorry guys but for me Rocco is one of those few guys that can't be properly replaced. As a matter of fact, IMO he can't be replaced period.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

Thanks. As it happens I was due to go to the ToP gig but was diverted by Robert Plant playing a secret gig in a small theatre up the road... 

and he had no bass player whatsoever!

Edited by Mickeyboro

On 29/05/2019 at 08:03, Sibob said:

Does this suggest that we (and I count myself with this), are more interested in the instrument/player than in the concept of low-end contribution to the music as a whole? I remember going to see Bernard Purdie at the Jazz cafe, trio with the organ player providing the bass via pedals. I was disappointed at first, but soon forgot about it when I realized the thing I loved was still very much present. I took a guitarist friend to see Richard Bona, and for that gig there was no guitarist, he was disappointed and really couldn't get over it lol.

Interesting concept. I suppose it depends how important that individual is to the overall makeup of the show and the sound of the band. People have already mentioned a MeatLoaf show where the bassist was easily replaced, yet would you go and see, say Motley Crue without Nikki Sixx? He doesn't sing but he's integral to the performance even though the guitar tech could probably come out and play his parts. If you went to see someone like Jeff Beck and you know he has put together a quality band would you mind if the drummer was substituted at the last minute for the show you attend? Probably not, you know you'll be seeing and hearing someone equally good. Extreme example, if *insert name of favourite comedian* gets food poisoning hours before a show you have tickets for would you be happy if their PA or even an actor/ actress friend of theirs who is relatively well known came out and read the jokes? (Incidentally I have heard of "tribute" comedians and I don't get it!!??)

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

Interesting concept. I suppose it depends how important that individual is to the overall makeup of the show and the sound of the band. People have already mentioned a MeatLoaf show where the bassist was easily replaced, yet would you go and see, say Motley Crue without Nikki Sixx? He doesn't sing but he's integral to the performance even though the guitar tech could probably come out and play his parts. If you went to see someone like Jeff Beck and you know he has put together a quality band would you mind if the drummer was substituted at the last minute for the show you attend? Probably not, you know you'll be seeing and hearing someone equally good. Extreme example, if *insert name of favourite comedian* gets food poisoning hours before a show you have tickets for would you be happy if their PA or even an actor/ actress friend of theirs who is relatively well known came out and read the jokes? (Incidentally I have heard of "tribute" comedians and I don't get it!!??)

Interesting thoughts.

In the 80s when I was very much into synths I went to see The Eurythmics and Propaganda and was disappointed to find that they had considerably "rocked-up" the arrangements of their songs to suit a more conventional band line-up.

Even though the Eurythmics band was pretty much an all-star line-up featuring amongst others Clem Burke (Blondie) on drums and Micky Gallagher (Blockheads) on keyboards, I was underwhelmed by the arrangements and missed the clinical precision of the album versions of the songs.

The Propaganda gig was even worse. The songs were barely recognisable from the recorded versions and the inclusion of live guitar and bass (but not drums) in no way made up for the missing synths power that was present in Trevor Horn's production work. 

Edited by BigRedX

35 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

But if they’d played to backing tracks would you have been happy? Interesting question...

i have tended to enjoy bands who improvise, hence you get a different show every time - well, to an extent. 

Yes.

Actually both bands were using some automated backing in their performance already. For me the additional live instruments added unnecessary clutter to the arrangements, especially The Eurhythmics who lost the stripped down elegance of the songs from the Sweet Dreams album.

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Fair do’s. I have to say I had a soft spot for the Tourists! Something Annie Lennox would rather not remember. 

I liked The Tourists as well. But the Eurhythmics - especially the second album - is all about the sonic minimalism.

• Like 1

To me seeing TOP without a bassist would be like buying a new car only to find it had no wheels !

Imagine going to see the Wailers only to find no bass

or Sly n Robbie with no Robbie

or Cream 

or weather report

or Miles Davis

or The Specials

or etc etc 

just NO

• Like 1