Why become a member? ×

Fender Duff McKagan Jazz bass v Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass

Pete M

Hi all I’m after some advice please. I’m looking at upgrading my bass. I’m looking at both Fender Aerodyne and Duff McKagan Jazz basses that have the same RRP (more or less). I love the look of both of them but I’ve read the PJ pick ups in the Aerodyne aren’t that great .Where should my money go and why? 

The Duff will have a Seymour Duncan  hot stack pup in bridge position. Good neck too if it's like my 80s jazz special it is modelled on. Has a D Tuner also I think?

It's Mex Vs Jap,but there's probably little difference nowadays. I think there are a couple of Aerodyne owners on here who may be able to help!

• Like 1

I have a Duff McKagan bass on order which should be with me in the next week or so. I personally prefer everything about a precision body shape and neck and as was mentioned above it'll have a Seymour Duncan hot stack in the bridge. Will post pics and impressions as soon as I get it and have had a little bit of time on it, if that helps!

I’ve had the old Duff sig, and the Aerodyne without the fret markers. I found the Duff neck to be quite deep whereas the Aerodyne more like a regular Jazz. Sound-wise I found the J bridge pickup on the Aerodyne quite weak so installed a Hot Stack - the same J pickup as in the Duff, made a lot of difference. The Duff with the TBX had slightly more options tonally. The Aerodyne was a lot lighter so that’s a consideration. My only real reserve towards the Aerodyne are no fret markers on the fret board itself, not good on dimly or overly lit stages. Both good basses, would like to check the new Duff sig out.

Edited by Lozz196