Why become a member? ×

Eastwood Newport

NikNik

22 hours ago, Sibob said:

Cool looking bass, contender for worst ever headstock?!

Si

No! The batwing headstock makes it. It’s what people are criticising the current Epi. Embassy for not having. How do Eastwood get away with making “replicas” ? Do they get permission or just dodge the lawsuits?

2 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

No! The batwing headstock makes it. It’s what people are criticising the current Epi. Embassy for not having. How do Eastwood get away with making “replicas” ? Do they get permission or just dodge the lawsuits?

Is it because it’s an old model they’ve based it on, been out of production a long time , 50 years maybe?

I’m loving the headstock too by the way.

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

How do Eastwood get away with making “replicas” ? Do they get permission or just dodge the lawsuits?

Some models are old enough that the original trademark/copyright owners are long-gone and the ownersip of the design with them. Others (like this Epi) are obscure enough that I'm guessing Eastwood are assuming the current brand owners won't bother hassling them. Some designs have likely lapsed into the public domain, from being copied previously & those copies going unchallenged.

Some they clearly think they'll make enough money on before they get a C&D - like their forthcoming Yamaha SG ripoff.

Rant:

Spoiler

If you're interested (which you're not but what the hell) there was never a John McGeoch signature SG, the SG1000 was never available in trans green, and the pics in the link are a Yamaha SG2000 and an ineptly shopped pic of an SG1000 with wonky Eastwood logos slapped on. Eastwood won't bother copying the unique hardware & electronics of the original SGs, but will just slap on generic cheap Chinese parts, so it'll only ever sound & play like the cheapo Chinese LP copy it really is.

And you can pick up a real vintage 80s Yamaha SG for less than they'll be asking for this.

I harbour a secret wish that Eastwood decide to make a Rick copy one day, and that in response, John Hall will go round with a big can of petrol to sort them out.

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

That’s interesting, so the Mossrites and Charvel Surfcasters have probably gone unchallenged. More power to the elbow then for resurrecting some really cool designs. Are they a little expensive for what I assume is Far Eastern manufactured?

I bought their version of the Maton Wedgtail at a pre-order price of US$1000. The neck was very slim,  not what I expected,  and the Bigsby was mounted squint. Plus, it went horrendously out of tune when the Bigsby was dumped. Probably strings catching in the nut but I sent it right back. I'd still give them another chance, though.