Why become a member? ×

tc electronic BQ500 Bass Head

frannie01

I've been looking for a back up amp as tempting fate cant last forever. I had my mind set on a trace Eliot elf or possibly the Mark Bass Ninja or Augilars Tone hammer purely because of their size ,but the TC BQ500 range is  now looking like a likely candidate.Small, light 500 watts and real cheap and no additional features (common to previous TCs ) They are advertised as transparent amps with a tone that can be moulded by your outboard gear....with 1 addition the thrust compressor. I'm also hoping that as with my last TC there isn't the need for a computer wiz to repair it due to the nature of the computerised chips in the old BH heads. If anyone has any personal experience /info on these i'd love to hear about it

Thanks Paul F

447919.jpg

I have one. I bought it as a spare for my Markbass (CMD121P + NY121P). I have it wired so that it can drive both the speaker in the combo and the extension cab. 

It’s a good match, both do 500W into 4 ohms. 

I’ve used it a couple of times as a test and once for real. The real time was when I was playing outdoors with a crap generator and the Markbass head is only able to run down to 200V but the TC will tolerate 110V!

general comparison - it sounds fine. I prefer the MB as it has more EQ options. I haven’t really used the built in compressor - normally I go with either a Trace Elliott transit or a -massive- board depending on whether it’s folk or funk. It’s easy to get a good smooth P bass thump.

Re total loudness I haven’t tried very scientifically but I’d say that the TC has less headroom. You can get it to fart out or clip more easily than the MB, particularly if only going into a single speaker. 

The active/passive switch is wired backwards but IDGAF. 

Slight pity that the speakon out is speakon only rather than combo speakon jack, but not a big deal.

overall a great simple basic head, good to have as a spare. Nice and small and light and a steal at the price - I think I paid £180. 

• 3 months later...

I'll chime in to say that I use mine as a back up to my SVT -CL. I use it with a VT bass to simulate the sound of the SVT and it gets pretty close. I always have this fear that my SVT will fail at some point after it did the first time i used it. The BH500 works well, it's light wait (so i don't have to carry the valve amp) and is small enough to fit in the front pocket of my gig bag.

No realiability issues yet and i've never used the "thrust" feature.

• Thanks 1

I'm content with mine. I bought one about 6 months ago as a backup when it came up as an Amazon warehouse deal. Cost just over £100. I've used it for a couple of rehearsals where it has kept up quite nicely with a loud drummer and guitarist. but, for gigs, I tend to use my Peavey Tour 700. I have no doubts the BQ500 would work, though. best of all, I keep it in a neoprene laptop sleeve in my cable bag and hardly know that it's there. But I know that it could get me out of a jam if something happened to my main amp. 

It's now my main head, I'm v happy with it! 

I bought a separate aluminium padded case for it as they're small and light. 

Pretty no nonsense, but enough Eq to get whatever tone you want. 

More than loud enough. We play v loud and I've never had to stretch it's legs. (Played through a Marshall 4x10). 

Would recommend.