Why become a member? ×

Do I need a powered cab.

I have just purchased a Phil Jones Flightcase 150 off the rather splendid, and very good friend of mine Richardd, (with two d's...,) who is a regular on this forum, and as such, I am now looking for some advice/ guidance.     I recently moved from the UK to France, and very quickly realised that my UK pub rock rig...a 2x12 and a 1x15 were completely over the top for my coffe bar and bistro requirments here. The PJ Flight case I bought of Richardd is absolutely perfect for 80% of the gigs I play, as most bars etc just cannot take a band with a drummer due to their small size, and as well as this, the French just don't want volume as part of there night out. So...my question is this.....   On the odd occasion where I need a bit more power, can I use my other gear to help create more volume? (This other gear being an Ashdown Retroglide head, and a Techamp 1x15 cab.)       With what I know at the moment, the only way to boost the PJ flight case is to buy one of the PJ powered cabs, (which I would love, but can't afford,) but that seems a rather expensive way to deal with an infrequent situation. So, pardon my ignorance, but here are what I THINK may be options, but  I do need some expert guidance..................  Does it have to be a PJ powered cab, or are there less expensive alternatives which will not compromise the brilliant sound of the flight case combo amp.......?    Can I somehow put my Retroglide between the Flight case and the TechAmp speaker...(plug the line out of the PJ into the input of the Retrroglide) and use the Retroglide as a power amp........?     Use a 'Y' guitar lead splitter, and use both the PJ and the  Retroglide......?   Put a power amp between the PJ and the speaker cab, and if so, what sort of power amp?      As you can see, I really haven't got a clue, but hopefully, some of you might be able to figure out what I am getting at, and help me out.... Cheers guys, and thanks in advance...

2 minutes ago, jonnythenotes said:

and very good friend of mine Richardd

Not a mates of Rrussel is he?

Looking at the PJ it has line out on the back and the Ashdown has a line in that will take up to 20V P-P, so all you need is a jack lead from line out on the PJ to line in on the Ashdown.

If this causes hum, you might need to break the earth connection at one end of the jack lead to break an earth loop* (and mark it so you know why it doesn't work as a normal lead anymore).

*unless the Ashdown has an earth lift, which I doubt.

20 volts peak to peak is the maximum signal without distortion you can put into the Ashdown's line in - that's plenty of headroom so you should have no problems.

You would use a guitar (signal) lead.

An earth loop is when two amplifiers share the same earth (via their mains plugs) and then have their earths connected together by the shield on a signal cable. This creates an induction loop that picks up mains hum (like a single turn of a massive transformer). If you cut the earth(shield) inside one jack plug you break the loop and get rid of the hum. NEVER break the loop by removing the earth from a mains connection.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, barkin said:

Are you overthinking this?  Me, I'd just use the Ashdown/Tecamp rig :)

I was wondering the exact same thing... the Retroglide can push out up to 800W (call it 500ish into an 8Ω cab). Why the need to be using both. If by chance you did need both together (tho I can’t for the life of me think why in quiet France) get a Boss LS2 or similar and just go into the front end of both amps...

I believe PJB's idea is to add powered cabs when you expand a rig. If you've bought into that concept then a powered cab would be the logical next step.

But I'd echo what others are saying, why didn't you chose to use your Ashdown and 115 for smaller gigs?

I would probably keep the combo for home and rehearsals and use the Ashdown and a good 112, like a Barefaced, for everything else.

You've got the luxury of time as you have two good quality working rigs. Continue with the PJB use the Ashdown for bigger gigs and if you want to expand wait until you can go for the PJB you really want. Anything else is going to change the sound you love so the Ashdown for the big gigs is probably going to be just as good as the PJB+ a different cab. you could also mic the PJB and put it through the PA of course. there's nothing to stop you trying the combination either, it probably won't sound the way you expect but it might be something you like and it won't cost anything to try.

Hi fellas, and thanks for the responses. I have been using the Tecamp and Ashdown for the last year over here in France, but to get the best out of it, you have to drive it a bit, (as I did in the UK,) but a 15" bass cab and an 800 watt amp in a small cafe where volume is very restricted is just not working, (it's a duo in case I haven't mentioned it yet.) My intention is to add a little more power when required by whatever means, but control the volume and tone with the PJ amp built into the flight case. Using the Retroglide to do this would be one of a few uneducated options I made in my initial request for help on this thread, but from what I can gather from your replies, this would introduce the colouring from the Retroglide which at best will change the tone of the PJ, and at the worst, ruin it.  Putting the idea of the Retoglide to one side, (and with a Phil Jones powered cab as my target when funds become available,) what can I do to give me this extra bit of power using only the Flight case, the Tecamp cab and an inexpensive bit of kit between the two, bearing in my it's only a temporary fix, and it won't happen very often. Also, any ideas on existing powered cabs that would do the trick, but are a little less expensive than the PJ powered cab.        Absolutely any ideas or suggestions will be more than welcome.......  Many thanks fellas.....