Why become a member? ×

Lakland 64-44 Bob Glaub p bass

Quilly

I’ve played a couple before and thought they were great! To be honest I am a big fan of Lakland basses - their necks are a really comfortable profile (for me) with a matte/satin finish which I much prefer over gloss. Also, with the 44-64 you get the bridge J pickup if you need that versatility. Lovely basses IMO.

I've got a USA PJ and a USA P BG and they are both amazing basses, by far the best P basses I have ever played. They sound and feel great. The Skylines sound very similar and are a bargain. Just make sure you find one that is a weight that suits you, and you can't go wrong.

There's a few distinctions to be made here:

1) Lakland used to call their 'Precision' the Bob Glaub signature. This stopped around 2014 I think when Bob moved over to D. Lakin Basses (a previous founder of Lakland), now defunct.
Since 2014, Lakland's has been called the 44-64 as a result, on account of it originally being based on Bob's '64 Precision.

2) There is a distinction to be made between the Skyline series (made in Indonesia, previously Korea) and the US custom and US Classic series (made in Chicago).

I had a P/J Skyline with a Jazz neck (called the 44-64 Custom P/J) and it was very cool, but I ultimately sold it to purchase a US 44-94. 
I also had a straight 44-64 Skyline (ie full fat Precision spec), and it was excellent, but just a tiny bit heavy, so I sold that and ordered a lighter-weight US Classic 44-64 which is excellent, best Precision I've ever played, sounds perfect with La Bella flats.

There's not many straight Skyline 44-64's around second-hand, people hold onto them. Lakland still put them out, but not in great numbers, presumably because they find people prefer the 44-64 Custom (jazz neck, p/j)

Si

Edited by Sibob