Why become a member? ×

*sorted* Need help identifying a potentiometer please!

Hello!

I've had a Rocktron IICX noise gate that I haven't used for years but I've decided to put in my live rig again. Only problem is one of the potentiometers broke and Rocktron offered to send out a new pot but never actually did it. basically the shaft got broken off of the VR3 Threshold control so it's a bit important to fix! haha

Anyway, I know the pot's value, it's a 10k pot but I've never seen this type of pot before and can't find anything similar. it's marked with "10k 903" on the top which I've tried googling but to no avail.

I'll attach a photo to the end of the post in the hope someone more technically minded knows what sort of pot it is and where I can get a replacement one.

Thanks in advance!

*edit* Have just had a reply, it's a 10k B (Linear) pot so I might set about fixing it tonight if I still have a spare 10k B pot around.

image001.thumb.jpg.8de6fb1b2a7045bbb51b99ffa1db6369.jpg

Edited by ForbiddenWytch
sorted

20 hours ago, ForbiddenWytch said:

Hello!

I've had a Rocktron IICX noise gate that I haven't used for years but I've decided to put in my live rig again. Only problem is one of the potentiometers broke and Rocktron offered to send out a new pot but never actually did it. basically the shaft got broken off of the VR3 Threshold control so it's a bit important to fix! haha.

I'd be inclined to get back on to Rocktron and mention they were going to send one, but didn't and ask them if it is Log or Linear and where to get one from as you need it fixing. Chances are they might send you one this time.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, itu said:

If you have to desolder it anyway, you can make a graph with a pen and a paper and a DMM. The graph shows you the track type. The degree and the resistance...

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/resistor/potentiometer.html

Typically I don't have a multi meter either! haha. Must get one of those ordered but for future reference, that is great advice, thank you!

7 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I'd be inclined to get back on to Rocktron and mention they were going to send one, but didn't and ask them if it is Log or Linear and where to get one from as you need it fixing. Chances are they might send you one this time.

Yeah I've fired them off another email just asking for info on the pot instead of them giving me a replacement. Hoping for a quick reply though as I'm hoping to use it in my live rig again from July onwards (as it is actually a very good noise gate but cheap pots detract from it!) so yeah, want it sorted haha!

• 1 year later...

Since a few days, I have been trying to understand the working of variable resistors. I have read a quite a lot online articles but most of the information is too technical for me to understand may be because I'm a newbie ! I recently gone through this article https://www.derf.com/how-a-variable-resistor-works/ which is quite informative. Can anyone share me a few more resources like this? Also, where I can read more about the types of variable regulators. 

Thanks so much!