Why become a member? ×

Am I just to fussy with my request

J66Bass

Hello there as you will notice my English writing is not very well written but I always apologise so my discussion today,am I too fussy with my demand to a buyer,due to scamming dodgy deal,stolen bass,am I too fussy to demand a short video on bass sound conditions,exchange of friendship on social media who can be cancelled after done deal,condition of the bass such has the bass been set up ,proof of identity from seller I will happily giving mine too ,receipt signed,personally as a seller too I will more than happy to help someone with this request,buyer are rare but scam are very alive,and losing money on a bad is even worse,love to hear to sincere opinion 

I don’t think it’s an unreasonable request to ask a seller in this day and age to take a short video of of the bass and some pictures if you are not able to go and play or see the bass ... 

Edited by bassfan

is the OP aware of the feedback system? if not here you go:  https://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/23-feedback/  and it will tell you something about the seller, if they are a regular on Basschat. To access the feedback type in their name into the search function on the page. Unlike ebay this feedback cannot be bought and can be corroborated with other buyer/sellers.

• Like 1

If somebody asked me, I would take a short video of a bass with my phone, with sound too if they wanted, but both would be very poor quality and not representative of the instrument they would receive, for better or worse.

As the seller is not obligated to meet your stipulations, you'll just have to spend your money on something else.

If somebody asked me for a video of a bass I was selling I'd have to say no. My phone doesn't take videos.

On a general level, if a buyer requires the level of information the OP seems to be demanding then the buyer needs to decide if this kind of sale is right for him. Seems like he needs to see the bass and play it before he hands over his cash.

I understand that once bitten twice shy is a valid view point and bad experiences make people wary, but if the OP is so particular or worried then he needs to see that bass.

As a seller, I have dealt with a very picky buyer and in the end I decided it wasn't worth the hassle because after I had sent him the bass he was probably going to find a fault and try to back out of the deal.

To the OP, there will be another bass along later. Wait until you can try the bass.

• Like 4

I've done Skype conversations with potential buyers, and I have to say they were all extremely pleasant and life affirming (in part because on a couple of occasions I was complimented on my technique, which is something my bands rarely if ever did). I think there's a fine line however between a buyer's reasonable expectations of a seller and a serious red flag; there've been a couple of people who've contacted me over the years whose comms have suggested to me that, should I sell the bass to them, they're going to be a nightmare buyer. That instinct was honed by a couple of very uncomfortable transactions on here in which the seller's expectations were simply unreasonable. For example, the guy who wanted to return a bass, and threatened legal action if I didn't agree (this in his first email), because he claimed the action was unplayable. I assumed something catastrophic must have happened to the bass in transit for the neck to bow to the degree that it was unplayable, until he sent me photos indicating that in his opinion the action was too low to be playable :)

• Like 1

To the op. I think that if you are looking for that kind of information you would be better buying from a shop where you can test the bass to your hearts content. 

I`m not trying to be cheeky or sarcastic by the way, it`s just what I would do if I was in your position.

• Like 1

There's still mileage in buying/selling face-to-face, be that in a shop or having first found something online, going and physically seeing/trying it out before doing the transaction. Especially with things like guitars. Some people just prefer to do trade like this, which is fair enough.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beedster said:

I've done Skype conversations with potential buyers, and I have to say they were all extremely pleasant and life affirming (in part because on a couple of occasions I was complimented on my technique, which is something my bands rarely if ever did). I think there's a fine line however between a buyer's reasonable expectations of a seller and a serious red flag; there've been a couple of people who've contacted me over the years whose comms have suggested to me that, should I sell the bass to them, they're going to be a nightmare buyer. That instinct was honed by a couple of very uncomfortable transactions on here in which the seller's expectations were simply unreasonable. For example, the guy who wanted to return a bass, and threatened legal action if I didn't agree (this in his first email), because he claimed the action was unplayable. I assumed something catastrophic must have happened to the bass in transit for the neck to bow to the degree that it was unplayable, until he sent me photos indicating that in his opinion the action was too low to be playable :)

Oups i think I press the wrong button,my demands were perhaps a bit too much and my English writing too , we got back in contact and started a message conversation as a trust , and we see from that, I had terrible experience selling a motorcycle, but for example a exchange of social media on short time could make make more trustworthy and I guess I m wrong,thanks all for your  advice .

I don’t think you’re being too fussy. You’re parting with money for something you’re not going to see beforehand. I’ve sold instruments to people and have always been happy to provide whatever photos they’ve wanted, and I’ve sent videos of me playing to a couple of them. As for social media, why not. It’s building up a picture of the person that you’re buying from, that’s how I see it.

• Thanks 1

I don't think a short video demonstrating the instrument is a particularly unreasonable request, but I'd run a mile from anyone demanding proof of ID and social media acceptance just to buy an instrument, or anything else for that matter. I've sold cars worth thousands of pounds with nowhere near that amount of hassle. I'm not being funny but I wouldn't sell an instrument to you in a million years. You sound like you'd be a nightmare to deal with and life's too short. I'd rather lose the sale and sell it to someone else, or even keep it before sharing personal details (other than what is necessary) with a potential buyer. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

is the OP aware of the feedback system? if not here you go:  https://www.basschat.co.uk/forum/23-feedback/  and it will tell you something about the seller, if they are a regular on Basschat. To access the feedback type in their name into the search function on the page. Unlike ebay this feedback cannot be bought and can be corroborated with other buyer/sellers.

The trouble is ; didn't a lot of feedback threads get wiped with the last big update?

Mine has disappeared completely

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I don't think a short video demonstrating the instrument is a particularly unreasonable request, but I'd run a mile from anyone demanding proof of ID and social media acceptance just to buy an instrument, or anything else for that matter. I've sold cars worth thousands of pounds with nowhere near that amount of hassle. I'm not being funny but I wouldn't sell an instrument to you in a million years. You sound like you'd be a nightmare to deal with and life's too short. I'd rather lose the sale and sell it to someone else, or even keep it before sharing personal details (other than what is necessary) with a potential buyer. 

Hello there,perhaps you find out and look at my feedback before you make silly judgemental comments,I know I ask honest opinion but I m definitely not a nightmare to deal,I just like honestly when you prepared to part let say 1000 pounds to someone who don’t know and had quite bad experience then you started worried you might lost your personal hard working money,I have a excellent reputation as seller and a buyer and as far I can see what is going on and he market buyer are rare.... I like to take this opportunity to thanks all the message including your to now close this chapter and thanks the overwhelming support that I can bit a bit fussy at time ...

Edited by J66Bass
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, E sharp said:

The trouble is ; didn't a lot of feedback threads get wiped with the last big update?

Mine has disappeared completely

Really I wasn’t aware with that ,I had sold and bought bass and had excellent feedback 

6 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I’m guessing you don’t post the cars though, the buyer collects them?

44 minutes ago, ambient said:

I’m guessing you don’t post the cars though, the buyer collects them?

True. But then if you were spending the same sort of money on a guitar you'd probably want to see it in person too. I certainly wouldn't be throwing a few grand at something I'd never seen. I also wouldn't sell something in that basis either. I'd insist the buyer saw it in person so they knew exactly what they were getting. Much less hassle that way. If we're taking a couple of hundred quid then fair play. Have a punt. But I wouldn't be giving the seller the third degree either. Insisting they add you on social media before you will buy is borderline stalker behaviour. I'd run a mile from anyone trying to buy on that basis. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 2

I've bought cars "sight unseen" but they've always been fairly cheap cars, so I might expect one or two issues; and if the worst happens I'd lose a relatively low amount. I'd not buy a more expensive car this way. Similarly, I have an instinct not to even buy (or sell) a high-value other item such as a bass or an amp, sight unseen, its just too risky and no amount of IDs or social media friend requests (or other more sensible steps) are the same as actually going to see it. I wouldn't even do it for an established retailer with a returns policy - yes I could return it, but there's still the hassle of paying the money, it arriving, sending it back then awaiting the refund. Why not just invest that time in going to see it before parting with the money and saving the potential hassle?

• Like 1

On 27/05/2019 at 12:06, J66Bass said:

am I too fussy to demand a short video on bass sound

Your wording would make a difference:

"Hello seller, I demand a short video"
I would find this off-putting.

"Hello seller, Would you be able to record a short video?"
I would happily do this if I can find the time.

• Like 2

I'd try to provide a video, and at a push I would provide proof of ID (albeit suitably redacted for MY peace of mind), but I'd definitely draw the line at social media 'friendship'.

• Like 3

On 27/05/2019 at 12:06, J66Bass said:

Hello there as you will notice my English writing is not very well written but I always apologise so my discussion today,am I too fussy with my demand to a buyer,due to scamming dodgy deal,stolen bass,am I too fussy to demand a short video on bass sound conditions,exchange of friendship on social media who can be cancelled after done deal,condition of the bass such has the bass been set up ,proof of identity from seller I will happily giving mine too ,receipt signed,personally as a seller too I will more than happy to help someone with this request,buyer are rare but scam are very alive,and losing money on a bad is even worse,love to hear to sincere opinion 

I think you are way too hard on yourself. English is hard. I followed your meaning without difficulty. I work with native born speakers of English who are much less understandable than you. 

• Like 2

• ped locked this topic