Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass with flats

Ricky 4000

6 hours ago, CameronJ said:

@project_c where do you you buy your d’addario tapes from?

I normally just google it to see who’s doing deals, they’re not cheap and they seem to have gone up recently too. Wunjo sell them for £45 if you need them urgently and you happen to be in central london. They last forever though, I only change them when they get damaged, the nylon wrap doesn’t like getting bashed against hard surfaces. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Teebs said:

Ps. Squier Jazz =
Rotosound Black Coated Type 52 Medium Gauge Roundwound Bass Strings (45 65 85 105).

The only way to fly! :D

Are they the Nexus? I use them on my guitar - a nice, dark tone - but couldnt get on with them on a bass. I might give them another go sometime.

I fancy some tapewounds now though.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Teebs said:

(They are the Nexus & I loves 'em! :))

GAS is a terrible affliction! :D

BTW...speaking of bass amps...

http://www.reevesamps.com/amplifiers/reeves-custom-400-bass-amp/

This looks really nice, eh, SM? smiley

Hahaha. Saw what you did there, you young scamp, you.

It looks quite pleasant - there’s something almost....’english’ about the look of it even though it’s an all USA thing. Not really my cup of tea though so your GAS attack missed by a country mile :on_the_quiet:

I’m a straight Class D kind of gal and I have all the amps I need, thank you. I will restrict my GAS to a nice walnut 4003s (with flats) just as soon as I’ve sold a few things to raise the funds 😋

The kids, for starters. They can go. And it’s not like we really neeeeeed furniture. Packing crates were good enough for my mum and dad so they’re good enough for me.

As to the Nexus strings, they’re fantastic on a guitar and last for aaaaaages but somehow I just didn’t get on with them on a bass. You clearly like them but, as Ricky says, that’s probably more of an S&M, art-rock thing. You sophisticated metropolitan types up in the meedja city there, with your black bass strings. It’s like the Citadel out of the Hunger Games.

But more rainy, obvs :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, project_c said:

I normally just google it to see who’s doing deals, they’re not cheap and they seem to have gone up recently too. Wunjo sell them for £45 if you need them urgently and you happen to be in central london. They last forever though, I only change them when they get damaged, the nylon wrap doesn’t like getting bashed against hard surfaces. 

What’s the tension like compared to Chromes? I fancy trying some on a five but wonder what the B would be like.....?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

The kids, for starters. They can go. And it’s not like we really neeeeeed furniture. Packing crates were good enough for my mum and dad so they’re good enough for me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know...you remember when it was all fields, proper values, bovril, lard, Empire etc... smiley

...as Ricky says, that’s probably more of an S&M, art-rock thing.

Does he really? Hmmm... >:(

You sophisticated metropolitan types up in the meedja city there, with your black bass strings. It’s like the Citadel out of the Hunger Games.

Oh yes, I'm 'The Metropolitan Elite' me... smiley

...but with attitude smiley

But more rainy, obvs :crazy:

This bit is true, at least :D

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know...you remember when it was all fields, proper values, bovril, lard, Empire etc... smiley

You need to show some respect, Young Teebs. National Service, that's what you need - that'd put some backbone into you, you cheeky young monkey....

8 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Oh yes, I'm 'The Metropolitan Elite' me... smiley

...but with attitude smiley

Like Quentin Crisp in a biker jacket?

Pictures or it didn't happen...

• Haha 1

Love them!  Usually use La Bella 760FL on my jazz basses.  Just the right tension IMO, not too tight and not too bouncy.  On the other hand, I feel TI Jazz flats suit my Precision better.

Would love to check out Chromes and Fender flats at some point too.  Are they comparable to rounds, tension-wise, or a bit looser feeling?

• Like 1

The whole point of a Jazz is to sound like a Jazz. You can't get that classic high end sizzle growl Jazz tone with flats.. IMO...If my dog meowed I would have a serious issue.  Each there own. Of course I'm joking, anyone can put different string on any bass if that's your bag. Its the music that matters.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Would love to check out Chromes and Fender flats at some point too.  Are they comparable to rounds, tension-wise, or a bit looser feeling?

The d'addario website has lots of info on the string tension of their various sets - without checking it, I'd say that chromes are about the same or slightly higher tension than their NYXL rounds.

I'll go check now and probably find I'm talking nonsense.

Which will not surprise me in the least....

Edit: and i was right. I was talking through my a£se. The chrome's are slightly lighter tension than the NYXL.

The lesson we take from this?

Ignore me....

Edited by Skinnyman

18 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

The whole point of a Jazz is to sound like a Jazz. You can't get that classic high end sizzle growl Jazz tone with flats.. IMO...If my dog meowed I would have a serious issue.  Each there own. Of course I'm joking, anyone can put different string on any bass if that's your bag. Its the music that matters.

That's why you need two. One with flats, one with rounds.

It's not GAS, it's just common sense....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

What’s the tension like compared to Chromes? I fancy trying some on a five but wonder what the B would be like.....?

Opposite end of the scale I think from what I remember about Chromes. Daddario Tapes are low tension and snappy, they have a similar tension to slightly thinner gauge nickel rounds. Great if you like low action and a bit of snap when you dig in - but nowhere near as low tension as TI Jazz flats. If you're used to Chromes, you might find them too low tension. Most people tend to love the feel, but the tone is not for everyone. Motown, old funk, jazz - they're perfect. Slap, metal, anything involving zingy brightness and mid-scoop - not so much.

If anyone wants to try a set, either you or @CameronJ, drop me a PM, I have a set here which is knackered (about 2 years old so they sound pretty lifeless, and the E string got bashed on a cymbal so it has a little snag on it), I can post them to you. They're cut to fit a Precision.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, project_c said:

If anyone wants to try a set, either you or @CameronJ, drop me a PM, I have a set here which is knackered (about 2 years old so they sound pretty lifeless, and the E string got bashed on a cymbal so it has a little snag on it), I can post them to you. They're cut to fit a Precision.

That's very kind - I'd really appreciate the chance to try some. Happy to pass them on to CameronJ if he wants to give them a go as well (or to wait if he wants to try them first).

I'll ping you a PM with the address