Why become a member? ×

Rare but reasonable Dolphin here

This unusual maple and wenge dolphin pro 1 5-string:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202689141122?ViewItem=&item=202689141122 

has been listed for a few weeks; I nearly bought it just to get a decent 5-string (it would also go nicely with my 4-string dolphin!).  Originally up for a "too much" £1700 (no bids),  then listed again at £1600 (I offered, £1350 which was immediately rejected, then tried £1550 with the same result, still no bids).   NOW relisted at a more reasonable £1500 (less than my last offer).  Wait 6 days and it might be £1400; at which point, a decent price I would think. 

The buyer says its 

Serial number 64555-99

So 1999 - a bit too early for the Warwick online data base.

Anyway - I've ended up buying something else (for a lot more money!) ... so this is still up for grabs.   Kind of wish I could have TWO new bases, but erm ......

It started at £2K on eBay and dropped every week. According to Warwick 1 of probably 2 made and unlikely to make again due to the chunk of Maple needed. The other one may have disappeared in a string of fraud while being sold. It’s a rare one.

Not me. Sadly I have spent this year's (lifetime's?) bass budget. 

The speed with which my offers were rejected indicated that ebay was set to automatically reject anything below the starting price; no counter proposal was offered.  The buyer was quick and happy to answer questions though. 

I read that talk bass thread (https://www.talkbass.com/threads/portland-oregon-area-scam-artist-busted-warwick-dolphin-5-string-found.1102385/)  which talks about the stolen one (which was serial 64556 before the scumbag filed it off!) This one's 64555 and the serial no is visible) -  they are indred extremely rare, estimates ranging from 2 to 5.

The colour put me off a bit frankly as I'd have preferred another brown one ... nice wenge neck tho (mine is ovangkol) and I doubt the maple affects the sound much - possibly a tad brighter?

Ebay is a crap way to buy quality instruments as it's so hard to get to see and try them without agreeing to buy.   I might message him saying "put the damned thing on Bass Chat .... with some higher res photos".  A good look at it might confirm it's worth a deal more than £1400 (my 4-stringer cost more than that).

Edited by NickA
link added

• 2 weeks later...