Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton very much on form.

gary mac

From the Jam were playing last night at a Festival close to mac towers:)

Had the pleasure of listening from my garden. His playing and tone sounded so good. Sounded like a Ric, although I think these days he plays a P bass. Anyway, it was a great sound, every note could be heard perfectly and I could enjoy a cuppa sat in a comfy chair, just the way music should be enjoyed :lol: 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigthumb said:

Lucky you! I wouldn't mind seeing them. 

Had the pleasure of being on the same TV show as them a few years back. As a big fan of Bruce’s work it was a real “I’m not worthy” moment, but he was a really nice even though he must have been able to see my unworthiness.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I would imagine it sounds great in your garden, in the same room it is just way too loud to enjoy last time I saw them :/

it is surprising how often this happens, especially if the it's a Marquee festival, outside everything is clear, especially the bass, inside just a trebley mess, lots of gigs sound better with ear plugs in for the same reason.

Seen From the Jam a couple of times, with and without Rick Buckler, top gigs and one of my bass playing heroes, his bass lines add so much to the songs. He always uses a P when I see him

• Like 1

I'm glad he's still on form - he seemed to lose his way rather after the Jam split.   I saw The Jam back in 1980 at Deeside (Setting Sons tour) and BF was superb; playing a P bass incidentally.   

Re listening to festivals from afar - I grew up only a couple of hundred yards from Cherry Hinton Hall which is where they hold the annual Cambridge Folk Festival - opening my bedroom window at night I could clearly hear the likes of Joan Baez, Taj Mahal, Don McLean, The Cheiftans etc.......happy days

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 2

On 25/05/2019 at 21:12, Ricky 4000 said:

He certainly sounds great whatever he plays...

:) It's funny you put that particular vid up because it's the very one where Weller is stood in front of a Marshall half stack but is actually playing through a little Peavey Backstage 30 stood on a flight case off to one side. 

1362526479_jamwellerpeavey.jpg.db4feb3fcd105d4f0190624cd9c006f1.jpg

• Like 2

The clip is from the 'Something Else' programme. Joy Division on the same show.

Had to laugh when I read Peter Hook's Joy Division book. He doesn't appear to be a fan of Weller - and after reading a certain chapter of Lemmy's biography yesterday, neither was he!

Ahh, that might explain the presence of the various on-stage furniture behind Foxy as well.

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

:) It's funny you put that particular vid up because it's the very one where Weller is stood in front of a Marshall half stack but is actually playing through a little Peavey Backstage 30 stood on a flight case off to one side.  

Oh, well spotted! And of course, Welly is fabled to have recorded with a one of those little Peaveys. Perhaps before he got all supplied with all the free stuff, like vintage AC30s and Marshalls?

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

those little Peaveys

Indeed so. 

Anecdote: One time, me and a pal had a sort-of guitar amp shoot-out evening. A couple of beers, a Les Paul, a Strat, an Orange Tiny Terror, a Marshall JMP Mk2, a 1966 Fender Bassman, a Rivera R55, an SF Princeton, an 80's Pro Reverb and a Mk1 Peavey Bandit.

Of course, you can see what's coming a mile off.

The Bandit won.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

Back to Foxton, think he started out in the Jam with a ric copy, then got a genuine one but then quickly moved on to P basses, it's actually mostly fairly early stuff that has a ric on it from what I recall. Saw From The Jam at Rock City quite a few years back, decent gig.

Yep, Fender kidnap family members or pets, and the ransom demanded is playing live and recording with Fender products.

As they still do with many recording artists even today.

And so would I, if I were them.

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Yep, Fender kidnap family members or pets, and the ransom demanded is playing live and recording with Fender products.

As they still do with many recording artists even today.

And so would I, if I were them.

Presumably Chris Squire carried on with Rics because he didn't really care for the wife's poodle.....?

5 hours ago, Little Dragon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Foxton actually played with Stiff Little Fingers for longer than he did with the Jam and I saw him play with them numerous times. I have a vague recollection of him playing a Yamaha as well.

Likewise, I thought he did very well in SLF. I’ve seen them since with Ali back in the bass-fold and imo Bruce nailed it better. Not so much the playing as both are great, but Bruces Precision to me fitted better in the mix than Alis Stingray does.

20 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Chris Squire wasn't really the caring type :D

Exactly. It's been the way of things ever since Klaus Gibson winged Les Paul's mother-in-law with some 00 buckshot, and I don't see no reason to go changing it now. :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 1