Why become a member? ×

The Box PA Speakers

BobBracker2222

Hi all

Has anyone heard of "the box speakers"?
I have googled it and all there is, is a company based in Germany selling them called Thomman. There is no mention of "the Boxes" web site.

They are quite cheap in price for the sound they produce so trying to work out if they are some domestic rubbish made somewhere in China that are masses produced and a different badge/ sticker is put on them for each customer. Or are they proper speaker for professionals using them to gig with every weekend

Looked at them for sale on the Thomman web site and there is no mention of manufactures warranty and since the company is based in Germany it would seam to be very difficult to sort out if they went wrong somewhere later on

Generic Chinese PA speakers. Similar to those sold by Studiospares and others. They order them from the factory in China with their choice of name on them. Nothing wrong with them per se, but, as usual, you get what you pay for. If they cost £50, they are going to sound like £50 speakers, if they cost £100, they will sound like £100 speakers. And so on..

DD is correct, you get what you pay for. They are Thomman's House Brand for PA Gear, (speakers and power amps), just as As Harley Benton are their guitar brand, The Snake their Cable brand etc. etc.

Regarding warranty, they should have 3 years the same as most products supplied by Thomman and in my experience with them, they are great at handling warranty claims. Anything i have had an issue with they have paid the return postage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BassBunny said:

DD is correct, you get what you pay for. They are Thomman's House Brand for PA Gear, (speakers and power amps),

They sell a lot of these bundle kits with these speakers included

Regarding warranty, they should have 3 years the same as most products supplied by Thomman

This is the speaker I had in mind
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pa_12_dsp.htm
But I see nothing about warranty on the description!

and in my experience with them, they are great at handling warranty claims. Anything i have had an issue with they have paid the return postage.

So you have had issues with there gear in the past and they sorted it for you no problem?

4 hours ago, BobBracker2222 said:

They sell a lot of these bundle kits with these speakers included

This is the speaker I had in mind
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pa_12_dsp.htm
But I see nothing about warranty on the description!

So you have had issues with there gear in the past and they sorted it for you no problem?

I've never bought any of Thomann own brand products but have bought from them and haven't had a problem with them sorting a problem out.

As far as warranty, it's in the product description that it's covered for 3 years.

Edited by BassBunny

If the OP reads the reviews (below the item description, just keep scrolling down) they should get some idea how the speakers perform. Also there may be some other reviews online, try google or Youtube. I've had a couple of Thomann Monitors and they are fine for the money. If you don't like them, send them back within 30 days for a refund..

Edited by yorks5stringer

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

As far as warranty, it's in the product description that it's covered for 3 years.

Can't see that in the description

51 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

If the OP reads the reviews (below the item description, just keep scrolling down) they should get some idea how the speakers perform.

I don't read reviews because a lot of the time the companies selling/ making it write the reviews them selfs

14 minutes ago, BobBracker2222 said:

I don't read reviews because a lot of the time the companies selling/ making it write the reviews them selfs

I've read  fair few reviews on Thomann and they ring true as they are not simply 'this is great'.

16 minutes ago, BobBracker2222 said:

Can't see that in the description

Hey Bob, assuming you are looking at the Thomann page for the speakers  on a full size screen...if you go down the r/h side of the page you will see the price in a box (177 euros) then below that in the 4th box is the details of the 3 year warranty and 30 day money back guarantee. If you click on these icons you will be taken to a fuller description of the terms. Reviews biased? Go on Youtube and check out those reviews then.

All I see below the price is the following

(copy and pasted from the page)

€177 £156

Free shipping incl. VAT

The price in GBP is a guideline price only!

sales rank in this product group 26
at thomann.de 1668
item number 415599
sales unit 1 piece
available since October 2017
Total Rating
features
sound
quality

Another question I have about these speaker, if anyone can help me out please

Is what cable do I need to purchase so I can go from my mixer to the speakers?
As it is very difficult to see from the photos and make out from the description
I see an XLR port in photo 4, and 2 other ports, in the description is says 2 XLR/Jack Inputs. Can't see why it would need 2 input cables.

But my mixer main out ports are 1/4"
Thanks

PS also. The speakers are rated at Maximum SPL: 128 dB. With a pair of them how big of a venue do you think I could work/ cover?

Edited by BobBracker2222
forgot last bit

17 minutes ago, BobBracker2222 said:

€177 £156

Free shipping incl. VAT

at thomann.de 1668
item number 415599
sales unit 1 piece
Total Rating

features  
sound  
quality

It's below all that you quote alongside the reviews (unless you have not got a full page optimised)? 

Re the XLR/ Jacks issue they are a dual socket, so you can use either in them, a jack to xlr or jack-jack, just not xlr-xlr if your mixer has not got xlr's, which is unusual?

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

It's below all that you quote alongside the reviews (unless you have not got a full page optimised)? 

Re the XLR/ Jacks issue they are a dual socket, so you can use either in them, a jack to xlr or jack-jack, just not xlr-xlr if your mixer has not got xlr's, which is unusual?

my browser must not be displaying what your browser displays then, but if you say you can see a 3 year warranty written on the page then I will take your word for it

Regarding the cable for it, from the photo it looks like one male XLR and 2 female XLR ports
Im I right in thinking that if I got myself 1 male or female XLR to 1/4" male cable then it should do the job?

41 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I'm not 100% of your intention, but since you've posted in the "Amps and Cabs" forum - are going to play a bass guitar through them? I don't think it will sound very good.

Since there was no forum for speakers though this one was the best for it

I am a solo singer to backing tracks only. The cones of the speakers are 12" and I was told that 12" was best for vocals and 15" was best for bass

6 hours ago, BobBracker2222 said:

my browser must not be displaying what your browser displays then, but if you say you can see a 3 year warranty written on the page then I will take your word for it

Regarding the cable for it, from the photo it looks like one male XLR and 2 female XLR ports
Im I right in thinking that if I got myself 1 male or female XLR to 1/4" male cable then it should do the job?

Since there was no forum for speakers though this one was the best for it

I am a solo singer to backing tracks only. The cones of the speakers are 12" and I was told that 12" was best for vocals and 15" was best for bass

Re the cable , you have 2 inputs on the back which as I said are dual (will take either xlr or jack), the other is an output which is just male xlr.

From the Help section:

"Your purchases at Thomann are backed up by our 3-year warranty, i.e. we extend the manufacturer's warranty period (usually 12 months) to a full 36 months - at our own cost, there's no extra charge for you!"

Assuming your mixer has XLR outs, I would just use XLR-XLR cables every day. Much better than jacks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobBracker2222 said:

€177 £156

Free shipping incl. VAT

at thomann.de 1668
item number 415599
sales unit 1 piece
Total Rating

features  
sound  
quality

May I assist? 🙂

image.thumb.png.71ab1099a8c703a91782fd1666c74448.png

• Like 1

Just an XLR cable will do fine.

I don't own that exact speaker but I do own a few Thomann own brand products and they're all good to excellent for the prices you pay.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BassBunny said:

Assuming your mixer has XLR outs, I would just use XLR-XLR cables every day. Much better than jacks.

unfortunately its a budget mixer
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-XENYX-1002FX-Mixer/2A7

Do you think XLR is better then 1/4" for audio quality or are the fitting just much stronger and will last longer?

49 minutes ago, BobBracker2222 said:

What is jack?

phono/ RCA or 1/4" phone?

Jack are the ones that go into nearly  every input along the top of your mixer (apart from the 2 black ones on the top left which are XLR).  Phono are the red and white ones on the r/h side at the top. XLR are better: XLR typically gives you a 'balanced' connection, whereas the Jack connection is unbalanced. ... For a high signal level instrument, like a guitar, this is often not a problem, but for a low level signal like a microphone it could significantly degrade the sound quality, so balanced connections are used.

You might wish to look at this: https://www.displays2go.com/Article/PA-System-Components-Microphones-Mixers-Amplifiers-Loudspeakers-12  or similar or maybe even  go to site dedicated to PA systems for more detailed information?

Edited by yorks5stringer

I was told if its unbalanced to unbalanced it should be OK but not unbalanced to balanced

Do you think I would get a better signal if I went from my mixer from 1/4" TRS to XLR to the speaker rather then 1/4" TRS from my mixer to 1/4" TRS to the speakers?

Edited by BobBracker2222