Why become a member? ×

NBD Bass of Theseus

Danuman

Well, this has been quite a project.

A little over two years ago I bought my first Precision. I wanted a shoreline gold one, but since those only came in unaffordable price brackets, I bought a Mexican P with the foolish idea of refinishing it myself.

Having had prior experience with utterly destroying a guitar’s resale value, the one good idea I had was deciding to build my own body (with help) and finish that instead.

So far, it’s already had a pretty rough gigging life, but it’s my absolute favourite guitar ever.

After swapping out pretty much everything else, I decided to purchase a lovely carbon-reinforced neck from a builder in the south of Holland. So, after an agonising period of waiting and having to miss my favourite bass - at long last - here’s the result.

On the right is the old bass, and on the left is what resulted from changing pretty much everything about it to my personal preferences. It’s frighteningly resonant and it has ridiculous, Tufnel-esque sustain - even if it turned out a bit heavier than I imagined... Anyway, there are many P’s out there, but this one is mine.

Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with the old one.

6A9AFA13-2996-45BF-B1FD-CFE0E98EDB21.thumb.jpeg.d0df04bb9d7c6c99a1ea519f8568ec04.jpeg

• Like 10

Ooohh. That’s gorgeous!

I ordered a vintage tint on mine as well, but it came out such a ridiculous shade of orange, it just had to go... Tiny bit sorry about that, but other than that I’m super pleased with how it turned out. I suppose it’ll just have to age naturally. 😊

Yeah, flats did cross my mind - but even though I like it for that 60s kind of thing, I just never seem to get on with them... much prefer to dampen regular round wounds. Thought about stringing it with a low B as well, but even the E is slightly floppy.

I almost regret selling it already, but then do I really need two Precisions? Plus I’d really like to have a fiver... (this is terrible, isn’t it, haha.) I’ll just try to stick to enjoying the new bass and keep around the old one for now since it’s so comfy. :)