Why become a member? ×

Band name.?

bubinga5

I think I mentioned this possibility when the subject last cropped up.

Go into your nearest B&Q store and search out the Valspar paint department.  They have hundreds of small cards covering the entire colour spectrum and sporting the most original names.  Our bathroom is now a delicate shade of "Harp Strings" (no, I'm not making it up) and our kitchen is about to become "Snowdrop".  Those names are almost normal compared to other shades of the pallet.  I'm sure something will 'tickle your fancy' - now there's a name!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Interchange.

Diverging Road.

The Cones (do they ever remove ALL the roadworks?)

The Highways.

M5.

Six Lanes.

Hard Shoulder.

2-4-6-8.

England's Heart (because you're near the centre of England)

Speed Flash.

The Gantries.

Blue Flashing Light

My only rule for band names - nothing you have to spell to people.

Because all you'll do is spell it to people when they can't hear it at a busy gig.

'Kyote' being my object lesson.

"Coyote ?"

"KIng...who ?"

etc.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ambient said:

I suggested the name The Angry Gammons to a friend for his new jazz trio. He pointed out they’d probably lose their residency at the local Conservative club.

Could have been worse. Could have been The Country Members.....

15 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

The Push. 

'Push' were the jazz/funk band that Ernie Macone use to play for so not sure about that..

Is this band covers or originals?

if its covers i'd go for something more obviously related to the style you're playing

i.e. the name of a favourite track ..'Chameleon' for instance 

if it's an originals band i like 'Nataraja' ...name of the Hindu god Shiva depiction as the cosmic ecstatic dancer ...well you did ask 😀 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The three bands I've been in:

Drastic Action  (covers band playing a fair  bit of, you've guessed it, Dire Straits)

Head in a Helix  (slightly psychedelic indie rock, I thought of that one, pun on Hedera helix, latin name for ivy...)

Two Moon Junction  (Sounded like the Beautiful South/Housemartins, from a b-movie with 'adult' content, I have no idea why - named before I joined)

I know that band from somewhere, but damned if I can remember now...

31 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

'Push' were the jazz/funk band that Ernie Macone use to play for so not sure about that..

Is this band covers or originals?

if its covers i'd go for something more obviously related to the style you're playing

i.e. the name of a favourite track ..'Chameleon' for instance 

if it's an originals band i like 'Nataraja' ...name of the Hindu god Shiva depiction as the cosmic ecstatic dancer ...well you did ask 😀 

It's also a well known The Cure song. 

Guest subaudio

Check out club band names and don't do anything like they do.

Names are hard, I found that setting up a group chat on Facebook and bouncing ideas off each other to be helpful.

Boring Suburban Mum.

A Plethora of Good Ideas Performed Badly.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict (just kidding!)

Reverend Bell-end.

Evidence Is Not Proof.

Gharzoch Glawyth

Bow Before Your Underlord.

How Hard Can It Be?

That last one is a band name proposal, BTW, coz really: how hard can it be? I used exactly 0.0117 seconds coming up with these, and used several minutes trying to grasp how it is possible for people to struggle with band names. I'd seriously be happy to be enlightened in this, BTW, coz I do see I might be missing something here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

That last one is a band name proposal, BTW, coz really: how hard can it be? I used exactly 0.0117 seconds coming up with these, and used several minutes trying to grasp how it is possible for people to struggle with band names. I'd seriously be happy to be enlightened in this, BTW, coz I do see I might be missing something here.

0.0117 seconds to choose a name.

Years to regret the choice...

19 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

0.0117 seconds to choose a name.

Years to regret the choice...

Yeah, indeed that seems to be the general idea permeating this endless line of threads. I appreciate the thinking, but can't agree. One look at the names of the most successful bands seems enough.

I was in a band called The Group. Awful name, for sure, but they/we got to record two albums, and the band was highly appreciated by its natural audience if not the pop station listeners. 

BTW, just to be sure: I'm of course not propagating the idea that one should use 0.0117 seconds on finding a band name.

10 hours ago, BassTractor said:

Boring Suburban Mum.

Not so much a band name as something that dull suburban dads do about once a year.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict (just kidding!)

Ahhh.  Early PF reference.  Nice.

Gharzoch Glawyth

Is that a quote from Tubular Bells?

The one I like however is:

How Hard Can It Be?

• Like 2

On 24/05/2019 at 22:38, Ricky 4000 said:

My sympathies. It's a cop-out name then? I hated my last bands name so bad... it just shouldn't be difficult, but I know it is. :dash1:

Yup pretty much, it’s ok but not great but it was better than one our guitarist loved which was awful, thankfully the guitarist put up the eventual name so avoided anyone’s nose being put out.

1 hour ago, T-Bay said:

Yup pretty much, it’s ok but not great but it was better than one our guitarist loved which was awful, thankfully the guitarist put up the eventual name so avoided anyone’s nose being put out.

I got the blame for coming up with the crappy name, when it was all actually the guitar player's idea!

I just tried to be help by suggesting it might look better written vertically, rather than horizontal.

Clutching at straws ... hey, even that's a better name!

• Haha 1