Why become a member? ×

Band name.?

bubinga5

I have the privilege to play with some just amazing musicians. We need a name. I put in all the hard work, As in getting the musicians together. The band has asked what shall we call our selves. I ask because I know there are some creative people on BC. The first name put forward was PUSH. I ask for your creativity. The music is soul funk jazz. Need something clever.?

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

Need something clever.?

Let's see... there are plenty of soul / funk / jazz bands out there, so maybe a name that's a little closer to home would work? You could go for something that describes your local area, or references one of your main influences, perhaps? If I knew roughly where you are, I might come up with something witty (or dumb - hard to tell 'em apart sometimes, knowing me). It would be easy to come up with something silly like 'Funk U' but that's a tad cheesy and unoriginal.

Why not tell us your main influences and your approximate area? That might give something more to go on. It might help with a logo too, if you're anywhere near a recognisable landmark.

FWIW, we're having a similar problem. Our singist fancies D.A.R.E. (for Danceable Alternative Rock in Edinburgh) but I'm inclining towards this:

draft logo.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

We’ve just called ourselves The 602.

our rehearsal name is next to the m602 in Salford. Always referred to as the 602...

Bang on. That's perfect - slightly out of the ordinary and a nice local reference. There's a group of us on Facebook called the Bow Belles, as we all live in a street with 'Bow' in the name, we're all women and we're all musicians. Even though we're in four different bands.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bubinga5 said:

I have the privilege to play with some just amazing musicians. We need a name. I put in all the hard work, As in getting the musicians together. The band has asked what shall we call our selves. I ask because I know there are some creative people on BC. The first name put forward was PUSH. I ask for your creativity. The music is soul funk jazz. Need something clever.?

Taking funk, soul, jazz and adding foot I thought Funk Foot Souljazz might work.  The contraction of the name looks eye catching for the fliers too : FFS.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

I’m still holding out for two band names featuring new town graffiti from my home town. One was a car park sign with the word ‘slagbonce’ sprayed across hence...

Slagbonce Car Park

...and the other just two words sprayed on the wall of an underpass...

President Youslags

...one day I’ll be in one of those bands.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

The M5 Connection... Oh dear.

Interchange.

Diverging Road.

The Cones (do they ever remove ALL the roadworks?)

The Highways.

M5.

Six Lanes.

Hard Shoulder.

2-4-6-8.

England's Heart (because you're near the centre of England)

Speed Flash.

The Gantries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

Our singist fancies D.A.R.E. (for Danceable Alternative Rock in Edinburgh) but I'm inclining towards this:

draft logo.jpg

Love the graphics! :)

But there was a band (still going) from Oldham back in the day called DARE, featuring a certain Professor Brian Cox...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dare_(band)#Past_members

Glad that your band is happening though 👍

• Like 1

Oh boy, just been through this with our new band. After three months nothing had come up then got the offer of a gig so needed to come up with a name ASAP. It’s ridiculously hard and even harder to get one everyone likes. In the end we got one that no one hated. Good luck.

35 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Oh boy, just been through this with our new band. After three months nothing had come up then got the offer of a gig so needed to come up with a name ASAP. It’s ridiculously hard and even harder to get one everyone likes. In the end we got one that no one hated. Good luck.

My sympathies. It's a cop-out name then? I hated my last bands name so bad... it just shouldn't be difficult, but I know it is. :dash1:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I’m still holding out for two band names featuring new town graffiti from my home town.

There used to be some graffiti in Leicester that said "Ish Must Fall". I have no idea who Ish is/was or indeed why he needed to fall, but it would probably make a good band name in the obscure category :)

• Like 2

The three bands I've been in:

Drastic Action  (covers band playing a fair  bit of, you've guessed it, Dire Straits)

Head in a Helix  (slightly psychedelic indie rock, I thought of that one, pun on Hedera helix, latin name for ivy...)

Two Moon Junction  (Sounded like the Beautiful South/Housemartins, from a b-movie with 'adult' content, I have no idea why - named before I joined)