Why become a member? ×

Markbass combos, esp. Minimark 802

knirirr

At some point, funds permitting, I would like to buy a Markbass combo, probably one of:

- Minimark 802.
- Mini CMD 121P.
- Marcus Miller CMD 101 Micro 60.
- Micromark 801.

The purpose is to play jazz in small venues; I used to play with unamplified drums, horns &c. using a Trace Elliot BLX-130* and that was always sufficient to be heard, though lifting ~27kg was not pleasant.

When asking about these in a well-known bass shop I was told that the Micromark 801 is too quiet, the Marcus Miller a good choice but not as good as the 121, though that would be outside my budget. Apparently the Minimark 802 is not recommended, though that looks to me like a good choice as it is (barely) within budget and seems to have a reasonable power rating. Has anyone got one, or any of the others, and if so would you be willing to comment?

* There's a thread here where it was suggested I take the amplifier out and fit it to a lightweight cab, but I think I'd rather keep it intact (and probably list it for sale).

If you look in the reviews section you can see my comparison between both the 801 and 802 which I had a while ago. I heard a MM 101 60 at the South West Bass Bash however and that was  well loud solo, how it would cope in a venue with other instruments is a different matter

I also have a CMD 121 P which I use  for home and rehearsals and small gigs and that is the 'go-to' as well as a Richard Bona 210 500 w combo for bigger gigs

• Like 1

Thanks - very useful information!

The suggestion that the sound might be a bit woolly suggests that I ought to try one out to check; I have noticed exactly that problem with the BLX and my current favourite bass.

1 minute ago, jrixn1 said:

Why did you decide only Markbass? I've nothing against them at all - just out of curiosity about your decision/criteria.

From what I've heard the quality is good and I thought they might produce the sort of sound I'm after. The size/weight seems to be good as well and, silly as it may be, I like the look of the orange speakers.

Another possibility is a Fender Rumble if it turns out that none of the above are suitable.

MB801 is too quiet I’d say. I have one for personal practice and acoustic sessions in pubs* but I wouldn’t use it for anything bigger than that. 

CMD121P is a completely different beast, it’s a serious and loud combo. I rarely use mine without its friend, the NY121P extension cab, but for quiet gigs the combo alone should be more than enough I reckon. It’s quite sensitive to EQ and if you get it wrong it’s possible to make the treble sound quite scrunchy. Some people actually disconnect the internal piezo tweeter for this reason. If you wind up the VLE knob it will suit you quite nicely I think.

The sheer smallness of this is quite compelling but I would like to look at the taller one with a horn tweeter - I don’t think they’re a lot more £££.

HTH, ymmv, ianal etc  

*I play a fretless U bass through it so I think morally that’s just fine. 

• Like 1

Whilst I like Markbass gear, if you want to buy new there are more economical options around. Ashdown RM and Fender Rumble would be my choice, both lightweight enough to not be an issue, both plenty powerful enough and both have a great sound. Have to say though if you`re set on Markbass, as per the post above, landing a CMD121 for £400 would be a result and is possible.

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Whilst I like Markbass gear, if you want to buy new there are more economical options around. Ashdown RM and Fender Rumble would be my choice, both lightweight enough to not be an issue, both plenty powerful enough and both have a great sound. Have to say though if you`re set on Markbass, as per the post above, landing a CMD121 for £400 would be a result and is possible.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Markbass, though there are reasons to favour them as mentioned above.

A 100w Rumble is very tempting for the weight though in another thread there were comments about them not being very loud. The 200 might be worth a try but seems to be very slightly too heavy/bulky, from the description.

This looks interesting also:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_electronic_bg250_208.htm

Anyway, when/if my other gear sells I'll need to try some out.

• 2 weeks later...

With a bit of cash in hand from a bass sale I went for this one (Marcus Miller CMD 101). Great tone with no EQ applied and completely clean with the gain on full. It's also light and small and probably loud enough for the sort of gigs I used to do and would like to do again.

IMG_1702.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I got to try this out last night - first time playing jazz in public since last century.

Anyway, it seems sufficient for the task with the gain on 1/2 and the volume on around 1/3, with the amp under a table in the corner of the room. I don't pluck particularly loudly but I could be heard comfortably amongst a variety of acoustic guitars, some sax/trumpet players (usually only one at a time) and a drummer playing with brushes.

I have an 801 - great for practice and small flamenco gigs and an AER AMP THREE which does bigger stuff. However I'm looking for something "in the middle" and my gaze has fallen upon the Trace Elliot ELF combos both the 8" and 10". They both look ideal for what I need but living here in Spain, there is 0% chance of encountering one in a store. The cabs look like a well thought out design to extract decent tone. The 8" I believe  uses a Faital speaker - phenomenal as I have them in the AER. However, the ELF head, from a look at the images, has been completely reconfigured for a combo and cannot be used separate from the combo. You might want to take a look at these and please anyone let me know an opinion who has one. 

1 hour ago, Tubster said:

I have an 801 - great for practice and small flamenco gigs and an AER AMP THREE which does bigger stuff. However I'm looking for something "in the middle" and my gaze has fallen upon the Trace Elliot ELF combos both the 8" and 10". They both look ideal for what I need but living here in Spain, there is 0% chance of encountering one in a store. The cabs look like a well thought out design to extract decent tone. The 8" I believe  uses a Faital speaker - phenomenal as I have them in the AER. However, the ELF head, from a look at the images, has been completely reconfigured for a combo and cannot be used separate from the combo. You might want to take a look at these and please anyone let me know an opinion who has one. 

Those looked interesting as well, but I couldn't find any I was able to try out and so settled on the 801. I'd also like to hear any opinions from anyone who's tried one.