Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot 1110 Combo advice sought.

Stub Mandrel

I've just got one of these! For less than the going rate for the four speakers (Eminence Alpha 10A) s/h!

It's the early version which hasn't got a visible heatsink at the back; instead it's got the larger cutout and L-shape back panel.

It was making a bit of a rattle I worried was a damaged voice coil but it disappeared when I took the front grill off - obviously a bit of TLC should cure this.

I have some questions:

There are no jack sockets in the holes on the back panel, just rubber grommets.  I assume I could add one or two (with B wired to disconnect the internal speakers) for an external cab but I don't know the impedance of the speakers or how they are wired. I'd rather not disconnect them and risk getting polarities wrong etc.

The speaker fuse is just 3.15A; this seems ridiculously low unless the speakers are 16R (would give about 150 watts) which seems high. If used with the apparently appropriate 4 ohm speakers that would be right for about 30  watts - surely not!

Out of curiosity how powerful is this amp likely to be (with gain and volume at 12 o'clock you can feel the air blast two feet away, so this is a bit of an academic question - whatever the power it's LOUD)

What does the EC1 LED signify? It doesn't seem to be power amp clip?

Is there any benefit in using the balanced input with a bass?

Looking at the wiring diagram for a later version of the GP11 (I think, it has three level LEDs at the business end) it appears that teh slave send and return can be used for a 'post-eq' effects loop is that correct?

The model name appears to be 1110 Combo does this tell me anything useful?

Finally, has anyone got a link to a manual?

Trace (1).JPG

Trace (2).JPG

Trace (4).JPG

Trace (5).JPG

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

I'll talk to myself - I appear to have discovered a few things:

It's actually a 1110 Combo (GP11 V5  is just the preamp).

It would originally have had four Celestion drivers, so the Eminences are an update (not sure if an upgrade or not?)

The Eminences Alpha 10A are 8 ohm speakers so presumably series parallel, as I opened it up and the cab has internal spade connectors and the resistance is 5.8R which is right for 8R impedance.

So I can add the sockets for an external 8R cab - that should get my trousers flapping.

Inside discovered excellent shielding and a super quiet fan for the power amp.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

I think it’s a MkIV and was sold as a 150w amp, but regardless of the numbers it’s a seriously loud combo...I don’t see much advantage in adding more external speakers when the internal 10” drivers can produce plenty of volume. 

Edit - the speaker socket holes/grommets are there because they used the same metal back plate for the contemporary AH150 amp head.  I’m pretty sure the combo was 150w into its own speakers as a combined 4ohm load.  That may not be the case with the new speakers. 

The XLR input socket is not wired as balanced, so it’s more of an alternative - TE just thought it was a much better connection than a telephone jack.  There was a bit of an early 80’s trend to put XLR outputs on bass guitars (inspired by the Alembic 5pin) but it didn’t take off.

Lovely amp 😎

Edit - the ECI is an earth continuity indicator - only lights up if the amp doesn’t sense an effective mains Earth.  Quite useful...and it normally flashes for a few seconds after you turn off. 

Edited by BassBod
Further comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BassBod said:

I think it’s a MkIV and was sold as a 150w amp, but regardless of the numbers it’s a seriously loud combo...I don’t see much advantage in adding more external speakers when the internal 10” drivers can produce plenty of volume. 

Edit - the speaker socket holes/grommets are there because they used the same metal back plate for the contemporary AH150 amp head.  I’m pretty sure the combo was 150w into its own speakers as a combined 4ohm load.  That may not be the case with the new speakers.  

The XLR input socket is not wired as balanced, so it’s more of an alternative - TE just thought it was a much better connection than a telephone jack.  There was a bit of an early 80’s trend to put XLR outputs on bass guitars (inspired by the Alembic 5pin) but it didn’t take off.

Lovely amp 😎

Edit - the ECI is an earth continuity indicator - only lights up if the amp doesn’t sense an effective mains Earth.  Quite useful...and it normally flashes for a few seconds after you turn off. 

That's helpful, thanks!

I had a look and the XLR socket did seem to be just wired across the jack (which has been replaced - proper chrome one on order).

The speakers fitted are definitely 8R. Adding another cab is more about extending the bass response, I suppose a 1115  would have been ideal for me! Plus I like having a 'stack' - what's the point of playing rock star if you can't have a stack? 😎

That ECI thing is good to know about