Why become a member? ×

Level 42 this morning

only4

I very rarely put the radio on for the school run so to catch 'lessons' was amazing.

I often think the songs sound dated when played live but today the tunes were fresh. Credit to them, excellent performance (I loved the cover choice too!).

I've been watching them live since they started, not necessarily the MK factor but just because I like the music.  Always highly energetic.  I think the current live line up is my favourite (the Alan Murphy era was shaping up nicely but sadly cut short) and the recording from a couple of years back, Sirens, saw what I believed to be a return to form of the purer jazz funk style rather than the poppier stuff.  On their touring years I try to see them at least twice, generally three times if the itinerary allows and am looking forward to 2020!

So I see this as a pointless cover of a dreary tune.  Better than the original - they have managed to instill it with a semblance of life - but, well, just why?

IMO, YMMV etc etc.

16 hours ago, Captain Bassman said:

Interesting choice of cover but they managed to pull it off quite well after a slightly nervous start from Mike!

Nathan is such a tasty rythmn guitarist, nice sound here too. Equally as talented as his big bro in many respects.

Yeah I thought so as well - I don't know but wondered if it mightn't be referenced to founder member Boon, who passed away in April. 

Anyway I thought it was a really nice cover - lovely rythmn guitar and sound on the Les Paul and the whole thing sounded really good. 

Like others, I've followed this band since they first appeared, seeing them live for the first time at a University Union bar in 1983. I last saw them a couple of years ago at Hammersmith - they seriously get better as a live act every time I see them.