Why become a member? ×

Rock is finished - it has nothing more to say!

Al Krow

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

What a list of great rock acts in the national singles chart !

My 9th birthday acquits itself quite well too. Voodoo Chile at number 1 and James Brown's Sex Machine at No 50, with Paranoid and Black Night in between.

@WHUFC BASS excellent post!

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

...00s and beyond have been a steady decline in originality IMO. There have been the odd exceptions with various stand outs but it's really been like digging for diamonds in a steaming pile of dogshit.

Couldn't agree more.

But there again, I'm also a WHUFC fan, so I guess we are pre-disposed to think along similar lines 😂

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I heard a song I hadn't heard before on the radio, I thought 's**t that's good' and got google to identify it.

"You can't get away" by Mountain. Methinks its about time I bought a copy of Nantuncket Sleigh Ride. (album)

Fantastic album! 

I suspect that many of the 50+ers no longer look for new music - after all it's young'uns who tend to do the more interesting and ground-breaking stuff and the oldies plough the same old comfy rut... Not only that but the kids don't know what rock is and are more interested in textickling and them vlogs about make-up.  And you've got to remember that looking for new rock'n'roll is a lot of bother when your joints are aching and the nurse is telling you it's time for your cocoa dear 😜

• Haha 3

I'm actually currently listening to Bring Me the Horizon at Radio1 big weekend... Seems quite healthy!

Admittedly i think the main thing Rock has ever said is 'Yeah?! Well i didn't want to be your stupid friend anyway!' which is always going to be valid, sadly!

(feel a bit like that at the moment)

• Like 1

Ultimately, does any form of music have to 'say' anything? Giving pleasure/provoking an emotional response should be enough. Rock used to have 'something to say' when it was new, brash and anti-establishment, but the passing of time has made it part of our culture and, therefore, makes it more difficult for it to shock or be confrontational (but not impossible). There's plenty of new stuff out there and my gauge is whether I like it musically, not whether it has 'something to say'. YMMV.

• Like 3

On 26/05/2019 at 22:39, Meddle said:

Not good. For me, Hawkwind were good from their debut through to Space Ritual. The stuff they recorded subsequently with Lemmy (Hall of the Mountain Grill et al) was too stodgy, and a musically basic band trying to make overt prog rock albums (in my opinion). They had another blip of good quality with Levitation, but their catalog is completely diluted with complete drivel; especially when they dabbled in that crusty techno stuff in the '90s. Catweazle and co making acid trance. Terrible.

I love the idea of Hawkwind, but sometimes the actual music is really weak, which only serves to demonstrate how good their stuff was when they were on top! Their fanbase also seems annoyingly cliquey and insular (and willing to buy any old rubbish) and, when they had that over-compensating midget on bass for a while, they seemed to court a slightly ugly National Front/biker element of society as well. 

My favourite Hawkwind studio albums by far are Warrior and HOTMG. Ok, maybe not by far as I adore Doremi too. And Lem was easily my favourite HW bassist.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, operative451 said:

I'm actually currently listening to Bring Me the Horizon at Radio1 big weekend... Seems quite healthy!

Thought they were great. Loved Billie Eilish too, in fact just bought her album and it’s ace.

As someone who was there at the time, they were saying rock was dead all through the early ‘80s. Given what happened subsequently, they were extremely wrong.

21 minutes ago, 4000 said:

My favourite Hawkwind studio albums by far are Warrior and HOTMG. Ok, maybe not by far as I adore Doremi too. And Lem was easily my favourite HW bassist.

I liked their Astounding Sounds Amazing Music. My older brother bought it in 70's and i quite enjoyed it.

Harvey Bainbridge shouldn't be underestimated.

Hard not to love Warrior and Hall of the Mountain Grill.

Some of my other favourites are PXR5, Hawklords and Chronicle of the Black Sword. I felt The Machine Stops a few years ago was a return to form.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Harvey Bainbridge shouldn't be underestimated.

Hard not to love Warrior and Hall of the Mountain Grill.

Some of my other favourites are PXR5, Hawklords and Chronicle of the Black Sword. I felt The Machine Stops a few years ago was a return to form.

Have you read “This is Hawkwind - Do Not Panic”? Apparently Ginger Baker wasn’t too impressed with Harvey and kept telling him what a terrible bassist he was. But then if you look in the dictionary under “silly billy”, I’m pretty sure whose picture you’ll see.....

”Silly billy”? Really?????? That’s not even close to what I actually typed.😂

Edited by 4000
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Have you read “This is Hawkwind - Do Not Panic”? Apparently Ginger Baker wasn’t too impressed with Harvey and kept telling him what a terrible bassist he was. But then if you look in the dictionary under “silly billy”, I’m pretty sure whose picture you’ll see.....

”Silly billy”? Really?????? That’s not even close to what I actually typed.😂

Have you seen this?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/may/15/ginger-baker-beware-mr-baker-interview

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yep, that pretty much sums up every interview I’ve seen. He’s an absolute c**ck. To be honest, I don’t think he’s half the drummer he seems to think he is either. 

I’m surprised no one has chinned him.😂

Edited by 4000

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

To be honest, I don’t think he’s half the drummer he seems to think he is either. 

I was a massive Clapton and Cream fan back in the 70s, but I’ve never liked GB as a drummer and recently even less as a person.

Silly quote from a 1 hit wonder as the great saying goes "LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL"....good Rock music will never die and I would hardly class Primal Scream as proper Rock band just some idiot trying to bump up there dying popularity because they have and never had anything worth saying....button it Mr Gillespie and crawl back under your stone.

• Like 1