Why become a member? ×

Rock is finished - it has nothing more to say!

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Not Spotify then? 

Hmmm... If you're going down that route then Napster is probably more responsible as created peer to peer sharing. Or you could blame MP3s for being a format which enables peer to peer sharing. Or, is it the Internet for providing the facility to do peer to peer sharing..? Looks like it was the nerds what done it! 😁

6 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Hmmm... If you're going down that route then Napster is probably more responsible as created peer to peer sharing. Or you could blame MP3s for being a format which enables peer to peer sharing. Or, is it the Internet for providing the facility to do peer to peer sharing..? Looks like it was the nerds what done it! 😁

Haha - well "nerds" invented computer gaming which is way bigger than live or recorded music these days. 

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - well "nerds" invented computer gaming which is way bigger than live or recorded music these days. 

Very true. Thinking about it, they also invented daw software which has enabled lots of musicians to record music to a high standard in their bedrooms. So, in a way, nerds have saved music!! 😁

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

I mean, this is so far from reality it’s funny lol. Perhaps your perception of Rock has those characteristics, but i’d politely suggest that issue lies in your outlook (only defining Rock as ‘classic rock made by old white guys’), rather than the actual landscape.

Si

Perhaps, but maybe it’s your perception that’s skewed in favour of it, and you’re not noticing the sea of terrible rock music that’s been sloshing around on the planet for decades. For every exciting new rock band there are 18 thousand leathery beer-stained tragic disasters. For every Nirvana, there are a thousand cheesy Pearl Jams and much worse. This doesn’t mean ‘rock is dead’, it’s just a result of it having been around for such a long time that it’s unavoidable that statistically most of it is old or crap or both old and crap. 

Same thing applies to most other forms of popular music that have been around for a while. Electronic music has the same problem.

Feel free to educate me though, I have nothing against rock. Let’s see some rock bands that are bringing something new to the table, *and* having the kind of impact that the big rock bands had 40/50 years ago. 

30 minutes ago, project_c said:

Let’s see some rock bands that are bringing something new to the table, *and* having the kind of impact that the big rock bands had 40/50 years ago. 

I fail to see why “impact” is a measure of if rock is dead.

In this prefab, instant satisfaction, shallow age we are in no music genre has the same impact as band had 40/50 years ago. 3 minutes, get to the chorus fast is the norm.

But I certainly can name bands in pretty much every genre, INCLUDING ROCK, that are changing the game and therefore widening the genre.

Go to any rock festival and you will see huge crowds of all ages enjoying a myriad of styles and genres.

34 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I fail to see why “impact” is a measure of if rock is dead.

In this prefab, instant satisfaction, shallow age we are in no music genre has the same impact as band had 40/50 years ago. 3 minutes, get to the chorus fast is the norm.

But I certainly can name bands in pretty much every genre, INCLUDING ROCK, that are changing the game and therefore widening the genre.

Go to any rock festival and you will see huge crowds of all ages enjoying a myriad of styles and genres.

I’m not saying it’s dead at all, my point earlier was that it doesn’t matter. Music culture isn’t quite as linear as it used to be prior to the internet. Statistics will tell you that more young people listen to hip-hop / rap than anything else. In the US, amongst young people black ‘urban’ music is way more popular than rock / indie, it’s something like 48% vs 31% (can’t remember exact numbers but google will tell you), which suggests rock is certainly not as popular as it used to be. The difference is that today it doesn’t matter as much as it used to, as long as you find your music and it’s followers, what’s ‘in’ and ‘out’ has no real significance any more.

• Like 1

If my experience of "rock" was limited to the sort of slobbering, 4-chord badboy-wannabe, smackhead-chic moronic cliche garbage that seems to have typified Mr Gillespie's contribution to the genre, then I think I'd be inclined to agree with him wholeheartedly. It's probably not unreasonable to assume that this is what informs his opinion in the first place.

I'm no expert (and neither am I a hater) but rap, grime & drill are all sub-genres of hip hop, which is a musical genre whose origins can be traced back to the early 70s. As somebody currently quietly despairing at the ravages of time and encroaching decrepitude, I take a little personal comfort & reassurance knowing that the pioneers of what's apparently the cutting edge of contemporary musical culture (according to Bobby G) must all have their bus passes by now...

Guest subaudio
1 hour ago, project_c said:

Perhaps, but maybe it’s your perception that’s skewed in favour of it, and you’re not noticing the sea of terrible rock music that’s been sloshing around on the planet for decades. For every exciting new rock band there are 18 thousand leathery beer-stained tragic disasters. For every Nirvana, there are a thousand cheesy Pearl Jams and much worse. This doesn’t mean ‘rock is dead’, it’s just a result of it having been around for such a long time that it’s unavoidable that statistically most of it is old or crap or both old and crap. 

Same thing applies to most other forms of popular music that have been around for a while. Electronic music has the same problem.

Feel free to educate me though, I have nothing against rock. Let’s see some rock bands that are bringing something new to the table, *and* having the kind of impact that the big rock bands had 40/50 years ago. 

No new band of any genre will ever have the impact of 40/50 years ago.

The industry of the golden era is dead, it no longer exists.

In the old days bands made vast fortunes because they had a physical product (records) that they could sell.

Ever since the internet no band can make anything like they used to because recorded music is free now, spotify etc pay nothing to artists, a million plays will get an artist something like £250.

Until we can figure out how to get paid a fair price for recorded music the industry will continue to collapse.

Plus the joys of austerity means our young folk can't afford to see bands live, the youth of the past had much more disposable income than kids today.

On 24/05/2019 at 15:32, Roger2611 said:

The Napalm Death collaborative album with George Michael had it's place in history but made for difficult listening especially as George did the music and the Napalm's provided the vocal harmonies :ph34r:

I enjoyed the sequel a lot more...

• Like 1

It's hard not to concede the point for having nothing more to say, though.

...*puts on best Basil Rathbone voice*...

Get yer rocks off, get yer rocks off, honey
Shake 'em, now-now, get 'em off downtown
Get yer rocks off, get yer rocks off, honey
Shake 'em now-now, get 'em off downtown.

Now that's the finest pondering of the human condition right there.

• Haha 2

Guest subaudio
16 minutes ago, peteb said:

As ever, Rick Beato's take is always worth listening to 

I'd counter that stylistically, it's not the loss of a blues influence, it's the loss of a sense of swing.

led Zeppelin, deep purple et al had a swing to the grooves that you don't hear in mainstream rock now

The actual death of recorded music is down to the internet.

The games industry is a rich industry because they retained a physical product to sell, cartridges, discs or whatever games are sold as these days.

Music has no physical format anymore and streaming doesn't pay anything either

I do like Beato's videos though :)

Edited by subaudio

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:
Oh oh oh oh oh oh,
You don't have to go, oh oh oh oh oh
You don't have to go, oh oh oh oh oh
You don't have to go

Touché sir. In their defence, that was 73, they didn't hit their stride til late 74... 😬😂

Edited by DoubleOhStephan
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, subaudio said:

The games industry is a rich industry because they retained a physical product to sell, cartridges, discs or whatever games are sold as these days.

Digital game sales massively outstrip physical copies these days - in fact Microsoft has recently launched a digital-only version of its current XBox & it's expected that other manufacturers will follow suit with the next console generation.

The industry in general is very much in favour of moving towards digital-only, for various reasons, not least of which is the elimination of the secondhand market & retail discounts, which clearly only apply to physical product.

The music business unfortunately remained stuck in the 20th century while the world moved on & has failed to capitalise on any of the potentials the digital market might have offered.

Guest subaudio
21 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Digital game sales massively outstrip physical copies these days - in fact Microsoft has recently launched a digital-only version of its current XBox & it's expected that other manufacturers will follow suit with the next console generation.

The industry in general is very much in favour of moving towards digital-only, for various reasons, not least of which is the elimination of the secondhand market & retail discounts, which clearly only apply to physical product.

The music business unfortunately remained stuck in the 20th century while the world moved on & has failed to capitalise on any of the potentials the digital market might have offered.

I yield to your greater knowledge, I've never been a gamer so can't comment on formats really.

I was coming from a high Street point of view initially, there are still games shops, but no new record shops.

Plus the business model and the consumer base. Games are expensive but have big upfront costs, but still make good profits.

I'd love to know how the game industry maintains itself vs the music industry, what could the music industry learn and why it hasn't.

I've got as far as its a problem with fair payment for copyright, then I get very depressed and give up.

Edited by subaudio

57 minutes ago, subaudio said:

I'd love to know how the game industry maintains itself vs the music industry, what could the music industry learn and why it hasn't.

Music plays a big (massive) part in the games industry these days. The animations and sound tracks/cues go hand in hand.

A very big earner for musicians and composers.

A game quite often has a sound track sold on it's own merit. Everything from Orchestra, Hybrid and Rock music (even though it's finished).:D

A small selection.

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/periods-genres/video-game/video-game-music-15-great-computer-game-scores/monument-valley-2/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Video-Game-Music/dp/B005QW1FB0

Edited by lowdown

Guest subaudio
9 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Games are harder to share on the internet than music too...

That's the thing right there, how not to have your work stolen and earn a fair income from it.

Guest subaudio
19 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Music plays a big (massive) part in the games industry these days. The animations and sound tracks/cues go hand in hand.

A very big earner for musicians and composers.

A game quite often has a sound track sold on it's own merit. Everything from Orchestra, Hybrid and Rock music (even though it's finished).:D

A small selection.

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/periods-genres/video-game/video-game-music-15-great-computer-game-scores/monument-valley-2/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-Video-Game-Music/dp/B005QW1FB0

A nice revenue stream but only part of what being an artist is, or perhaps it isn't ? perhaps music has become a service industry now?

I don't know, I just know I'm flat broke and I should be less so, oh, and who is this Gillespie person anyway? :)