Why become a member? ×

Rock is finished - it has nothing more to say!

Al Krow

Music always evolves, and the music of youth will always kick against whatever went before it.   It doesn't much matter what it's labelled as

NB: I have Dewalt and Bosch power drills - covers all situations...... 9_9

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

I have a Makita.

Makita = Yamaha

9 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

I have a Makita. Very good for metal.

And wood and plastic 

That''s nice, but my Fodera drill has a fanned chuck! So there! :on_the_quiet:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And great for rock

Yep - very good with a masonry bit, but equally efffective with a good HSS bit on metal :D

So, in answer to the eternal question, Yammys are good for metal! :D

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 1

dNot big on lyrics so having something to say is neither here nor there ,Rock works and survives because you get a beat hit a chord and people start tapping their feet and reacting .Royal blood and Shame are doing what others did before to a new crowd 

Edited by jazzmanb
  • Like 1

The trouble with the people who align themselves (and I include myself in this) with music rock music is if they were there when it happened, they are now way too old to be the target audience for grime, drill, L Devine, or anything else of the moment.

None of what's current now can be the soundtrack to growing up, because we're all grown up. I've never been a particular fan of The Smiths, but I think Morrissey got it right when he sang "It says nothing to me about my life."

But then I'm old, I'll be dead soon enough, and the wheels will keep on turning...

Have a great weekend folks! 🙂

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, operative451 said:

More likely Bobby Gillespie has nothing more to say... :D

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/3k3a35/the-gen-z-women-of-guitar-music 

I have read this thread from start to present end, and have no idea who this Gillespie character is. I thought at first it referred to dizzy of that ilk, but obviously not.

Rock ain't dead, it's just no longer at the cutting edge of fashion, an industry which by its very nature needs to aways be finding something 'new'.

• Like 4

Rock won't die, it will just evolve and absorb.

The 'Rock and Roll Hall of Fame' has got rappers in it, by 2030 there will be Grime and Drill artists there as well...

By 3019 it won't be odd to class Hendrix and McCartney with Vivaldi and Bach.

• Like 1

Things come and go, it's cyclical IMHO.

Is R'n'R in a good place? Maybe not.....but there's no doubt in my mind that it will return in some form or another. It was only around 2001 that NME were championing the 'new rock revolution'....The Strokes, White Stripes, etc. I bought a fantastic compilation at the time, 'The Sympathetic Sounds Of Detroit' - one of fave compilations ever.

I'd never have seen that coming a few years before. So anything is possible....just when it's down and out, doesn't mean it's dead for good.

Bobby G, to me, has always been a man of style of any real substance. How he's kept his act alive for so long is beyond me!

Maybe his hanging out on yachts with Kate Moss has finally done him in.....or just a good way of promoting your latest record.....?

From Wikipedia - 

"Gillespie was involved in a campaign to prevent a local pub gaining extended hours saying, "I found the repetitiveness [of the noise] disturbing and I was unable to sleep because of it."[9]

No wonder rock is dying! 🙈

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Having briefly heard some drill music I think at 53 I’m the right side of 50

Face it, what is a para-driver if it's not a drill? 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

I'm not Rock's biggest fan but I suspect it will still be around in some form when the latest "trend" in music has died a slow and painful death.

"Rock is dead" is cited every 10 years ago - most of those who were most vocal in this are long forgotten.

Mr Gillespie has raised his own profile again temporarily.....in 12 months, when his new album has failed to attract any real following or acclaim, he too will join the list of those who made the claim and fell to the wayside.

Long live Bosch!!

Seems to be quite a few new bands on Spotify’s Rock List... as always rumours of Rock’s death seem greatly exaggerated.  Didn’t the Queen film do well last year. Can’t  imagine it was all due to the silver’s nostalgia.

Edited by YeastieB

14 minutes ago, YeastieB said:

Didn’t the Queen film do well last year.

Incredibly well but it's such a bad sign that people will only consume 'rock' through films and theatre shows effectively with narratives around personalities or 'classic' bands thrown together on top of medleys. It's not vital, creative, sexual, interesting or rebellious any more - it's just nostalgia.

Having grown up listening to alternative and hard rock music through the 90s and early 00s I thought I was going to be a rock fan for life.

However since becoming a bass player I've really fallen out of love with the genre as I struggle to get excited about Rock baselines (Geddy excluded)

Now I'd now much rather listen to funk, soul or blues - rock has most definitely died for me.

• Like 2

I must admit,  if Rawk has matured as a musical form, I don't have a problem with that. Its been around a while after all! It might be fun standing in front of a massive speaker making BWARM BADERR noises and I don't see that going away while it's still fun..!

Let's face it though, if your gran liked it,  its probably not rebellious any more... :D

At this point I'd insert a gif of that but from star trek beyond where stuff is blowing up because of having the beastie boys played at it and Bones turns to Spock turns and says 'is this classical music?' But I'm on my phone not my computer so you'll have to imagine it... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, YeastieB said:

Seems to be quite a few new bands on Spotify’s Rock List... as always rumours of Rock’s death seem greatly exaggerated.  Didn’t the Queen film do well last year. Can’t  imagine it was all due to the silver’s nostalgia.

Now you've mentioned Spotify, according to the Every Noise at Once website (which is an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 3,068 ((!!!)) genres by Spotify), "Rock" is the 5th most popular, with various subtypes appearing further on down in the list.

Given this list is generated by data from 100 Million Spotify users (so a pretty large sample size of music listeners), I reckon it gives a more accurate representation of Rocks popularity. 

As an aside, Grime comes in 203rd place with Drill in a 412th. 

Stick that in your pipe Bobby 😛

http://everynoise.com/everynoise1d.cgi?scope=all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, operative451 said:

At this point I'd insert a gif of that but from star trek beyond where stuff is blowing up because of having the beastie boys played at it and Bones turns to Spock turns and says 'is this classical music?' But I'm on my phone not my computer so you'll have to imagine it... :D

Here you go 😁

• Like 1

Artistically rock has little to say anymore but the entire music industry is propped up  by the cash cow rock bands doing the rounds. If we’re talking about artistically moribund genres we can look at jazz and funk too, neither of which have anything new to say.

I love all of these genres, but I’m old. Well, sort of.