Why become a member? ×

Rock is finished - it has nothing more to say!

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

No love for Dewalt? Or is that not fashionable anymore?

No, bigthumb, the problem there is that Dewalt were great when they first came to prominence. Big, powerful and made other duos like Black and Decker look a bit out of date. But then they got lazy and started churning out the same old stuff just to honour their contract. Now there's new kids on the block like Milwaukee and they make Dewalt look like stuff your Grandad used to enjoy.

Power tools, rock music, it's all the same....   🙄

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cato said:

I think we need to decide on a comprehensive definition of 'rock music' before we declare whether or not it's truly dropped of it's perch.

Indeed! :)

Surely there's a whole massive new thread right there! :o

That'll keep BCers arguing for evermore!  smiley

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cato said:

I think we need to decide on a comprehensive definition of 'rock music' before we declare whether or not it's truly dropped of it's perch.

Go on then - I'm sure your definition is going to be as good as anyone's! :) 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Go on then - I'm sure your definition is going to be as good as anyone's! :) 

I've got no idea.

I've heard the term applied to a lot of stuff,  ranging from Napalm Death to George Michael.

Edited by Cato

35 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Do you mean 'good, but awkward'? ;)

"What you want there, mate ( ;) ) ya gots ta get yerself a Makitia - the propa working man's drill" (bass equivalent = Yamaha.)

*Your mileage may vary; the author has no affiliation with brand/s mentioned; your home is at risk if you start drilling stuff willy-nilly)

Well, I’ve got the custom shop makita impact driver 😉. Bass equivalent- fodera 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Well, I’ve got the custom shop makita impact driver 😉. Bass equivalent- fodera 😀

Nah!

If Fodera made drills, they'd have 47,000 settings - none of them useful for anything practical; would be made from rare materials that are not resistant to dust & have 'fanned' directional drilling! :D

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Cato said:

I've got no idea.

I've heard the term applied to a lot of stuff,  ranging from Napalm Death to George Michael.

Haha - it's not easy, I totally agree. How about:

"Music inspired by the creation of the electric bass that still manages to sell out tiny venues all the way to football stadiums".

I give away no clue as to what my favourite instrument is from that, do I? 😂

• Like 1

Guest subaudio

t looks like Gillespie is just doing the rounds to advertise whatever his latest tepid product is by weakly courting controversy, we're all talking about him, which no doubt pleases him no end, so who's the real wh*re?

43 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I really like Primal Scream, but if I was to be horrid, I'd say that the only reason they came to prominence was due to Andy Weatherall re-mixing Loaded.

Bobby G said himself about acid house music  "I always remember being quite fascinated by it but not quite getting it."

I think that they've made some excellent music, but I'd not take his word for the demise of a whole type/ style/ genre of music.

IMO Screamadelica is their only consistently good album while Weatherall has been involved in much more interesting outfits such as Sabres of Paradise and Two Lone Swordsmen. All the other PS albums have been pretty patchy with 2 to 4 good tunes and lots of filler.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cato said:

I've got no idea.

The Napalm Death collaborative album with George Michael had it's place in history but made for difficult listening especially as George did the music and the Napalm's provided the vocal harmonies :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

The Napalm Death collaborative album with George Michael had it's place in history but made for difficult listening especially as George did the music and the Napalm's provided the vocal harmonies :ph34r:

Now there is an album I'd buy! :D

44 minutes ago, Cato said:

yup,  especially when you consider acts in the 'Yacht Rock'  'genre'  that make Little Mix  look like Cannibal Corpse

Edited by Barking Spiders

15 minutes ago, subaudio said:

t looks like Gillespie is just doing the rounds to advertise whatever his latest tepid product is by weakly courting controversy, we're all talking about him, which no doubt pleases him no end, so who's the real wh*re?

Umm, is it Teebs? 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Cato said:

8 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

yup,  especially when you consider acts in the 'Yacht Rock'  'genre'  that make Little Mix  look like Cannibal Corpse

Yeah, I don't see anyone disagreeing! 

So come on then, what's the answer? 😁

I hate to say this, but we need someone to really drill down into this and get us out of a hole.

Ok at this point, I'd best Geddy up on my Hi-Q horse and...

Image result for exit stage left album cover

Edited by Al Krow

8 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Umm, is it Teebs? 👍

23.05.2019 - clashmusic.com interview:

"Deeply passionate about music, his recall is incredible – we’re here ostensibly to discuss Primal Scream’s new singles compilation ‘Maximum Rock ‘N’ Roll’, the band he formed in the late-’70s and guided through indie pop, rave, Stones-esque country soul and beyond..."

Does this shine any light on Mr. Gillespie's most recent utterances?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Umm, is it Axle Rose?

Yes right answer, but to the wrong question.

I'm sure you can work out quite easily what the correct question to that answer was? 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1