Why become a member? ×

Rock is finished - it has nothing more to say!

Al Krow

“Rock is like Latin, it’s a dying language, it's old, it’s finished, and it really has nothing more to say. The spirit of rock is passing to rap, grime and drill music..."

Bobby Gillespie, Primal Scream

The guy has a point, right?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Funnily enough Gillespie having just called Madonna a prostitute ("no offence to prostitutes" he went on to say on the tv interview - lol!), he clearly does have a fair bit still to say himself 😂

11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve got a good makita drill , but I wouldn’t say I listen to it much 😀

In my day, we had to listen to good old acoustic hand drills, and it goes without saying that this ::waves finger about:: was all fields. 😛

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 6

11 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Sadly, it's a fact. My music is being slowly replaced.

Musically it's all change every few generations. Not much Trad, Bebop, Dance band or Ragtime played these days. Rock will eventually go the same way.

I think in many forms it has, that is in performing it many bands are making a nostalgic/historic statement as much as a musical one (clothing/hair etc). Only safe genre really is country. It get us all in the end :)

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Rock is the zombie of the music world: it's dead but it doesn't know it, its rotting corpse teeters onward still, arms outstretched, reaching hopelessly for the recognition and adulation that it had in life.

Edited by Earbrass
wayward apostrophe
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Earbrass said:

Rock is the zombie of the music world: it's dead but it doesn't know it, it's rotting corpse teeters onward still, arms outstretched, reaching hopelessly for the recognition and adulation that it had in life.

Yeah, Madonna wasn't great on Eurovision, was she?

• Haha 3

I have to disagree.  Ten years ago I might have reluctantly grumbled and conceded he might have a point, but there's some really good young rock bands coming through at the moment.  Grime and drill may be more en vogue at the moment, but the spirit of rock lives on and is constantly being revived by new generations.

• Like 3

Maybe rock has nothing more to say for Bobby Gillespie - as a jaded, millionaire rock 'star' whose band (who I have dearly loved) haven't produced anything interesting for quite a while. His statement might have more to do with his lack of relevance than the real state of music.

I seem to remember hearing that someone from Decca Records told the Beatles that guitar music was 'on the way out' in the 1960's; that rock had become jaded just before Nirvana and grunge hit the airwaves; that guitar bands were passé, then along came The Arctic Monkeys et al.

New types of music will come along, and this is a good thing, but that doesn't mean that styles of the past (jazz, rock, country, classical, disco etc...) die out - they continue to evolve.

RAWK RULEZ! :party:

• Like 8

If he thinks rap is current... Rap's been around for nearly 40 years - e.g. Rapper's Delight 1979, or my favourite the Message, grandmaster flash 1982.

I'd say Grime and drill sound pretty current though, but hardly mainstream enough to replace 'rock', whatever that is classed as.

He gets some great publicity though, as if he was some type of music oracle or spiritual guru, best of luck to him.  

Edited by petebassist
  • Like 1

Hah and Primal Scream are one of the reasons why rock has become irrelevant. Mind you, rap has nothing more to say either having gone from a time when Public Enemy were full of righteous anger against The Man to the gash that's peddled nowadays. Drill and grime  mean nowt to anyone over 30 and  the rest of the world outside London and its suburbs. Thing is in all genres all possibilities have been exhausted and nothing is new anymore. Every genre has been crossed with another and now there's nowt new left under the sun that's yet to be explored.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I'd just like to say that my electric drill is an AEG, which I consider to be the Warwick / Hofner / Rickenbacker of power tool brands.

Do you mean 'good, but awkward'? ;)

"What you want there, mate ( ;) ) ya gots ta get yerself a Makita - the propa working man's drill" (bass equivalent = Yamaha.)

*Your mileage may vary; the author has no affiliation with brand/s mentioned; your home is at risk if you start drilling stuff willy-nilly)

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I really like Primal Scream, but if I was to be horrid, I'd say that the only reason they came to prominence was due to Andy Weatherall re-mixing Loaded.

Bobby G said himself about acid house music  "I always remember being quite fascinated by it but not quite getting it."

I think that they've made some excellent music, but I'd not take his word for the demise of a whole type/ style/ genre of music.

All music gets thrown in the electric juicer of time, and the great bits (of which there are relatively few, even from great bands / artists), float to the top...

If I may spam this:

Love that bit of sampled bassline from an otherwise crappy rock song.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I seem to remember hearing that someone from Decca Records told the Beatles that guitar music was 'on the way out' in the 1960's; that rock had become jaded just before Nirvana and grunge hit the airwaves; that guitar bands were passé, then along came The Arctic Monkeys et al.

That's three terrible calls.  That person from Decca Records is clearly an idiot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

All music gets thrown in the electric juicer of time, and the great bits (of which there are relatively few, even from great bands / artists), float to the top...

Bang on!

For me, this sums up music constantly evolving. 👍

• Thanks 1

Yep, they realised that they'd done all they could in the music industry, and decided to move on to pastures new...

Spoiler

...the next Prime Minister of the UK!   smiley

Edited by Teebs