Why become a member? ×

Mike Lull bass; Stolen, found, reunited.

NancyJohnson

I was just reading (on Facebook) the cheery story of one of our bass playing brothers, John VanZanten of Seattle, who about 14 years ago had his dream bass built by Mike Lull Guitar Works.

Two weeks ago the bass was stolen, then the thief contacted Lulls in an attempt to sell it to them; Paul Schuster at Lull got photos, verification of the serial numbers etc and convinced the person who had it to bring it in as they had an interest in buying guitars for cash.  The guy took it in and Mike Lull seized the instrument advising the thief that the bass was stolen and the guy fled empty handed.  Bass has been reunited with the original owner. 

Brilliant, eh?  I doubt you're going to get that sort or after service from Fender.

Edited by NancyJohnson
Speling.
  • Like 16

On 23/05/2019 at 12:26, NancyJohnson said:

I was just reading (on Facebook) the cheery story of one of our bass playing brothers, John VanZanten of Seattle, who about 14 years ago had his dream bass built by Mike Lull Guitar Works.

Two weeks ago the bass was stolen, then the thief contacted Lulls in an attempt to sell it to them; Paul Schuster at Lull got photos, verification of the serial numbers etc and convinced the person who had it to bring it in as they had an interest in buying guitars for cash.  The guy took it in and Mike Lull seized the instrument advising the thief that the bass was stolen and the guy fled empty handed.  Bass has been reunited with the original owner. 

Brilliant, eh?  I doubt you're going to get that sort or after service from Fender.

I love stories involving low intelligence criminals...

Jay Leno's show used to have a section on that on Monday nights, back in the late 90s when I was living in DC. There's a story I remember where a supermarket got raided one night. There was CCTV, but the thief (there was only one) was aware of that, and he used a paper bag to cover his face to avoid being recognised. Then we're shown some CCTV footage where the would be thief trips on something and hits himself against a shelf... because he had not made holes in the bag to see through. He learns from that, 'though, and is shown again, with holes in the bag so he is now able to see what he is doing.

He was still caught. How? Well... he was still wearing his uniform, name tag and all. He was the security guard working at the store. Even if the name tag was not quite legible, he was extremely easy to recognise...