Why become a member? ×

Baryton Sax

Genseric

Hi!

I have a crazy question!

I am not an expert on effects pedals and I need your help!
I would like to get as close as possible to the sound of Leo P. with my bass, and yes, it's a baritone sax player!

what  effects or combinations of effects do you advise me to get closer to it?
Thank you very much for what you can do for me!

Genséric.

Oh dear, this certainly is among harder tasks!

Please study the ADSR in greater detail. Usually the A (attack) has a lot to do with the sound recognition. If you can tackle the attack, the rest is more or less details.

If you are after real saxophone sound, a sax or a synth may be your other option.

Itu hits the nail on the head. The ADSR of a sax (the way the note starts, continues and fades away) is controlled throughout by the breath. The strings of your bass have an initial 'pluck' then gradually (or quickly) fade away. 

Basically you can control the way the note is played throughout it's duration on a saxophone, but without something like an ebow, all you can do on bass is pluck it. 

There's all sorts of possible solutions available with an ebow, eq, volume pedal. To be honest I think a bari sounds best when it's HONKED staccato. Flats and foam is probably the simplest way to get a similar tone.

Thanks to you 2!

i wasn’t thinking about ADSR and thank’s for talk to me to about that. I’m gonna work on this!

I don’t search for a real sax, so no midi. 

Just want to approach as close as possible without loss the identity of a bass. 

I play a Musicman Stingray Classic, I will try with the foam on. I was never think about. The honked staccato is my favorite way to play sax too. 

What do you think about a fuzz and/or an Octaver?

The baritone sax has a very distinctive sound, I'd say the closest you'd get - and it would only be half way there at best - would be with some kind of fairly sophisticated analogue synth. But even that would only have a "fixed" ADSR so it would soon sound synthesised rather than authentic - a lot of the character of the tone comes from the small variations in each note, sometimes relating to its note length (but not necessarily). A good synth player would be able to tweak the envelope whilst playing a solo or a line, to give a vaguely similar effect. You have all the odds against you (due to the lag it takes to recognise lower notes, when using a synth or pitch-sensing type effect on a bass) and you'd be better off with a keyboard. 

Or an actual baritone sax player.

Even then, Leo P has something of a distinctive technique and tone, so you're bound to fall short or achieve something else anyway.