Why become a member? ×

Hokum , Habit and Headwear

stewblack

I don't do waistcoat, but I do hat. With the soul/silliness band it's a black flat cap worn backwards, and with the ska band it's either a grey trilby or a faux-leather black pork pie. I'd dearly love a proper leather pork pie, but can't justify the cost.

Edited by Rich

On 23/05/2019 at 14:11, mikel said:

I have a deep aversion to "musicians" wearing hats, mainly pub/covers bands. My current band agreed in its infancy that hats and waistcoat's were a definite no-no. Nothing screams "Old geezers trying too hard" than a hat and a waistcoat.

As an old git, it's  hat for me :)

I would also gently point out that as somebody who has toured europe with a reputable orchestra I would also consider myself to be a musician not a "musician".

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

On 23/05/2019 at 14:11, mikel said:

I have a deep aversion to "musicians" wearing hats, mainly pub/covers bands. My current band agreed in its infancy that hats and waistcoat's were a definite no-no. Nothing screams "Old geezers trying too hard" than a hat and a waistcoat.

Interesting perspective.

Black trilby, nothing to do with Phil Campbell 😉

I'd been looking for a decent hat for years (decades!) and I finally found it in Sports Direct!

It's also useful for keeping sun out of my eyes and rain off my head.

I also have a penchant for wearing unbuttoned plaid shirts over a t-shirt.

I've been a Neil Young fan since I  was a schoolboy - it was only recently I was reading 'Waging heavy Peace' and suddenly realised we have independently arrived at the same style (or lack of it).

1125417791_IMG_6306-Copy.jpg.f5b52d46f180f73c0627ccef09a7ab0a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Ooh just realised I've comitted another sin here too....hand off the fretboard!!🤣

I couldn't resist fretting with my thumb only for a while the other day 🙂

There is a video but I won't see quite how embarassing I was until 4 June...

5 minutes ago, seashell said:

I recently re-discovered an embroidered waistcoat of my Mum's, and I teamed it with a black sequinned 'gameshow host' style jacket for our last gig. It's OK though, because I wore them in a spirit of irony. 😝

That outfit definitely needs a hat!

Edited by lozkerr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/05/2019 at 13:43, ead said:

As an old git, it's  hat for me :)

I would also gently point out that as somebody who has toured europe with a reputable orchestra I would also consider myself to be a musician not a "musician".

My brother in law is also a musician, and he wears a hat on stage, but as he almost always wears a hat anyway he is not simply wearing one to look like a "musician".

On 24/05/2019 at 17:52, Stub Mandrel said:

Black trilby, nothing to do with Phil Campbell 😉

I'd been looking for a decent hat for years (decades!) and I finally found it in Sports Direct!

It's also useful for keeping sun out of my eyes and rain off my head.

I also have a penchant for wearing unbuttoned plaid shirts over a t-shirt.

I've been a Neil Young fan since I  was a schoolboy - it was only recently I was reading 'Waging heavy Peace' and suddenly realised we have independently arrived at the same style (or lack of it).

1125417791_IMG_6306-Copy.jpg.f5b52d46f180f73c0627ccef09a7ab0a.jpg

Oh bugger.

There was I thinking I was paying homage to Neil Young when it turns out that I’m just channeling my inner Stub....

C561C5EB-D039-4F26-A0BF-0AD3D7415A03.thumb.jpeg.e959894628592e1fbfc02a85f2fd6f83.jpeg

my hat must have blown off....

• Haha 1

On 25/05/2019 at 17:45, mikel said:

My brother in law is also a musician, and he wears a hat on stage, but as he almost always wears a hat anyway he is not simply wearing one to look like a "musician".

Ah but there's the rub. How can we ever know why people are wearing hats? There are so many reasons. We can't read their minds and even if we could they might be confused as to their own reasons. 

It's a conundrum this hat business. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Ah but there's the rub. How can we ever know why people are wearing hats? There are so many reasons. We can't read their minds and even if we could they might be confused as to their own reasons. 

It's a conundrum this hat business. 

Not if you see some old geezers setting up and doing sound check, and having a pre gig pint, sans headware. Then doing the gig hatted.