Why become a member? ×

Hokum , Habit and Headwear

stewblack

The other day I was a verse or two into the first song in the set when I realised, horror of horrors, I wasn't wearing my hat. 

Of course I had to grab it and don it at once even at the expense of missing a couple of notes. 

It's inexplicable and bizarre behaviour especially when you consider that I wouldn't normally dream of wearing a hat indoors. 

And no I'm not superstitious. I just don't feel right playing without it. Anyone else have any odd ritualistic gig tics, habits, or traditions? 

• Like 2

Hats are automatically 'cool' when worn on stage, no matter what a plonker you may look like in the car park.

I have gradually accumulated bands where a particular type of hat is actually part of the official persona of the band ... a Stetson for the country band, a flat cap for the rockabilly outfit, etc.

• Like 1

Probably drifting into the realms of TMI, but I have a set of matching undercrackers and socks which I always wear for a gig. Yes, I suppose you could call them 'lucky pants'.

Just to clarify, they are not the only keks or socks I own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Rich said:

Probably drifting into the realms of TMI, but I have a set of matching undercrackers and socks which I always wear for a gig. Yes, I suppose you could call them 'lucky pants'.

I hope you don't gig on consecutive days! I play drums and I've played 4 gigs over 3 days loads of times. I'd hate to imagine what my lucky pants would be like after that lot (if I had them)

Just now, cheddatom said:

I hope you don't gig on consecutive days! I play drums and I've played 4 gigs over 3 days loads of times. I'd hate to imagine what my lucky pants would be like after that lot (if I had them)

If I do play consecutive days, said underthings receive a good wash during the day prior to the next gig. Otherwise, yes, they'd probably be able to walk on stage by themselves. O.o

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

If I do play consecutive days, said underthings receive a good wash during the day prior to the next gig. Otherwise, yes, they'd probably be able to walk on stage by themselves. O.o

So when you get home late at night after a gig, what's your routine? Do you wind down with a drink and then wash the pants? Or do you wash the pants and then wind down pantless? 

[It's OK we don't need the answer]

• Haha 1

Odd, I think of hats as the worst possible gimmick (ok, a kilt is worse).

Guitarists want to be SRV and bass players want to be Lemmy. At the top of the bass player list are guys wearing any form of hat that resembles, even loosely, a stetson.

Jamerson never played wearing a hat after all!! 🙂

23 hours ago, Rich said:

I must learn to read the whole thread before I post

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

Y'know, if anyone had ever told me that some day, my underpants would be a topic of conversation on BC... :lol: 

...you'd have been very proud? 

...you'd have preferred it to Ric*en*cker threads?

...you'd have expected it to be in a thread about 'heft'? :D

I'd prefer a conversation about Bernard Manning's underwear to any R*ck*nb*ck*r thread :lol: 

As for my pants being hefty, I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or an 'oi, fatty' :scratch_one-s_head:

Edited by Rich

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'd prefer a conversation about Bernard Manning's underwear to any R*ck*nb*ck*r thread :lol: 

As for my pants being heft, I'm not sure if I should take that as a compliment or an 'oi, fatty' :scratch_one-s_head:

:D

I would never stoop to body-shaming a fellow BC-person, Rich! :o

:D

21 minutes ago, Rich said:

Bootsy must be permanently cold. Poor chap. If only his nan would knit him a nice cardigan.

None of his hats seem to cover his ears, he's bound to get chilly.

Now cardigans....that's more like it. I've taken the stage in a cardigan more than once.

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 13:23, MoonBassAlpha said:

I swap my watch from my right hand to my left for gigs and recording. Stops the bass getting scratched there, and stops the ticks getting picked up on recordings!

Are you a lefty who plays conventionally? I don't wear a watch these days but always wore it on my right wrist which is a bit anti establishment.

Back to the topic of hats... I don't wear one at gigs but suddenly feel the urge to don a handsome black trilby for Saturday's gig.

I have a deep aversion to "musicians" wearing hats, mainly pub/covers bands. My current band agreed in its infancy that hats and waistcoat's were a definite no-no. Nothing screams "Old geezers trying too hard" than a hat and a waistcoat.

• Like 2