Why become a member? ×

Scott Whitley's Bass Vlog #3 - Playing covers isn't cool!!! Or is it?

All thumbs

I know these seem to be coming thick and fast lol, but I'm on catch-up.  This is the third and most up-to-date episode in my bass vlog series (published yesterday).

It's a hotly debated subject but in this video I give my thoughts on it.

Let me know your thoughts...

Enjoy,

Scott.

• Thanks 1

Sorry Scott got to disagree on that one as a weekend warrior on and off for the past 40 odd years...in my experience if you don't play covers on the local pub/club circuit you would soon be twiddling your thumbs at home with no gigs...just my humble opinion

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Are you sure this video is about playing covers?

4 minutes in and all I've seen is driving to the gig and some randoms backstage.

I'm sorry but life is too short for me to waste my time on this. I could be writing another song.

Wow - thanks for the love! 😄

17 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Sorry Scott got to disagree on that one as a weekend warrior on and off for the past 40 odd years...in my experience if you don't play covers on the local pub/club circuit you would soon be twiddling your thumbs at home with no gigs...just my humble opinion

Completely agree with you! :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, All thumbs said:

Wow - thanks for the love! 😄

OK my comment was a bit harsh, but I one quarter of the way in to the video and you still haven't begun to touch on the subject matter in the title.

This is why I don't like vlogs, it gives the creator too much opportunity to pad it out with content that is irrelevant to the subject it is supposed to be covering. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

OK my comment was a bit harsh, but I one quarter of the way in to the video and you still haven't begun to touch on the subject matter in the title.

This is why I don't like vlogs, it gives the creator too much opportunity to pad it out with content that is irrelevant to the subject it is supposed to be covering. 

Fair play.  The Vlogging format is something I'm new to experimenting with so still learning.  That's actually some useful constructive criticism which I'll definitely take on board. :)

Scott.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ll tell you what isn’t cool; using the word cool 😂

Playing covers or not, cool is a thing I would never strive towards.

Surely it’s dictated by demand? If you pack every venue you play, what does it matter?

Lol re 'cool'.  I like the word personally, although funnily enough I'm about as far from 'cool' as you could get. 😄

I agree with you - it's always troubled me how some miss out on a lot of opportunity because they don't.

21 hours ago, thebigyin said:

in my experience if you don't play covers on the local pub/club circuit you would soon be twiddling your thumbs at home with no gigs

Funnily enough, all the bands I've been in since 1983 have never really done covers. And we had no trouble getting more gigs than we actually wanted!

Currently we do just one cover - it's a punk classic mashed up with a funk classic- with 10 songs of our own, and we've got gigs booked up till November. Though we are putting together a slap bass version of a Misfits song as possible 2nd encore (wishful thinking?). Admittedly we've got very little in our own  small town, but then there's no venues here bar tiny pubs where you've got room for the band plus 10 punters. They put on occasional open mic nights and covers bands but we don't want to play to audiences who aren't there for the music... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thebigyin said:

in my experience if you don't play covers on the local pub/club circuit you would soon be twiddling your thumbs at home with no gigs...just my humble opinion

And another disagreement here. I actually had to quit the covers band I was in because my originals band was picking up more and more gigs until it got to the point that we were out playing at least one night every weekend, plus after deducting expenses was coming away with more money per gig.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1