Why become a member? ×

Anyone know what strings Sam Wilkes uses?

alhbass

Tone is all in the fingers... for sure. But I'd still like to know  what those super-vintage, seemingly very low-tension strings are. Love his playing. If you don't know who I'm on about, he appears in many Pomplamoose vids, also the regular bassist for Louis Cole / Knower...

• 4 years later...
On 20/05/2019 at 21:56, alhbass said:

Tone is all in the fingers... for sure. But I'd still like to know  what those super-vintage, seemingly very low-tension strings are. Love his playing. If you don't know who I'm on about, he appears in many Pomplamoose vids, also the regular bassist for Louis Cole / Knower...

Hi,

Don't know if you're still looking for an answer to this (over 4 years later), but I wanted to know this as well. I found a TalkBass thread on this exact subject: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/how-does-sam-wilkes-get-his-sound.1521212/

They refer to one of the videos where all the gear and equipment was listed, including strings. In this case it was DR High Beams. His sound often has the tone of played-in rounds, so this makes sense.