Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustang JMJ Bas

Graham Ryall

2 hours ago, Graham Ryall said:

Hi folks, I'm strongly thinking of buying the JMJ, anybody got one or has opinions???

Is there a particular reason you’re interested in the JMJ over perhaps a second hand Japanese Mustang for example?

Si

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to BC Graham :)

Sibob has a good point. Fender Japan stuff is always of the highest quality. I've not played a bad one yet.
You may end up getting more for your cash, buying from BassChat second-hand too
Good luck with your search

There’s nothing wrong with the JMJ’s, by all accounts they're great, but it is worth noting that a new one will tend to come in around £400-600 more expensive that a used Japanese Mustang.

Si

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

There’s nothing wrong with the JMJ’s, by all accounts they're great, but it is worth noting that a new one will tend to come in around £400-600 more expensive that a used Japanese Mustang.

Yes, that's what I was thinking about, when I suggested buying from the BC marketplace.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Graham Ryall said:

Hi folks, I'm strongly thinking of buying the JMJ, anybody got one or has opinions???

I bought one about a year ago, its a great bass and I love it! Its got a really nice vintage sound, the strings are flat wound but not too dead sounding and the neck is chunky but very playable. Its a bass for playing funk and soul grooves, not for blistering solos. Highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just bought a sunburst Mustang Performer and I love it.

It has both split coil P and jazz Yosemite pickups and grease bucket tone control.

I’ve also put La Bella flatwounds (specially produced for through body strung Mustangs) and they are brilliant.

As far as short scale basses go, this has a really good tone variation.

• Like 1

Currently got a JMJ (just picked up from Will off this fair site).  First impressions are that it has a very nice warm but punchy core tone with the stock Fender flats.  It has that very played in feel that comes with the MIM roadworn territory, I think the attention to detail on the relicing is a notch up on the Jazz roadworns I've played though (e.g. very nice checking on the body).

Compared to my CIJ Mustang made in 2002 (I think it's a 1966 re-issue?) the neck is a bit chunkier (more playable to me) and the headstock a little thicker.  The JMJ has a satin finish neck, the CIJ a vintage tint gloss. They both have SD pickups which are more similar than different, the JMJ seems a bit more 'vintage' but it's hard to tell unless they were wearing the same strings (my CIJ has Fender rounds).

At the minute I'm struggling to justify having 2 similar Mustangs so my CIJ is up for sale.....however I'm secretly hoping SWMBO forgets my promise to sell one. You wouldn't go wrong with either the JMJ or the CIJ; In real terms, if buying used there's probably £200 between the 2 only you can decide if the difference is worth it to you.

Edited by martthebass