Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH500X

stewblack

I have this rather splendid UV lit green and black beast in my armoury. I was playing with it today in bi-amp mode. 

It works rather nicely with the low pass channel sent to a big capable cab and the high pass going to a smaller tweeter equipped cab. 

The output levels are individually controlled allowing great control over my sound. It also allows me to choose which cabs I put together. If for example I have a 1x10 with a horn which produces lovely upper mids and tops but wouldn't handle big loud bottom end comfortably, I can pair it with something meatier and only ask it to cope with as much as it is happy with. 

What I would like to know is this : are there two separate amps in there? The back panel suggests two amps both 4ohm. If this is so then in theory could you put this through four 8ohm cabs? Not suggesting that I shall of course, I just wondered.

IMG_20190520_163305.jpg.b2cfcb4f353b0cbc1c906f7576ae000b.jpg

I'm fairly certain that there are 2 separate amps in there, each rated at 250 watts @ 4 ohms... so you could connect 4 cabs @ 8 ohms each. Bearing in mind that these are TE watts, you could probably demolish buildings with this - nice 🙂

Edited by b7l4s
Spelling...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, b7l4s said:

What's going on here? That's against the rules... UV off < UV on... fact!

ah500x_uv.jpg.cb5276e09ab7ecdf65c03d8432bc96c9.jpg

Not my picture yer honour. I got it off the ad I bought the amp from. Honest guvnor. I would never use it like that. 

Don't hate me 

• Haha 1

I once paired my 600SMX with 4 cabs - a Martin Audio 18" sub and a Trace 1153 (1x15) on one side and a 1048H (4x10 & HF) plus a 2103H (2x10 & HF) on the other.. It was an experience!! 😀

Regarding your 500 (much like my old 600), it is - as suggested further - up two separate power stages offering 250w / 4 ohm / channel.. The later 600w Series 6 and SMX versions were very much the same just with an additional (but probably unnoticeable) 50w per channel..  

On 21/05/2019 at 12:06, stewblack said:

I'm also considering running it in stereo mode, two matching stacks either side of the kit.... 

Don't... the evil thought of having Laney probass one side and Trace Elliot the other has already crossed my warped mind. Who needs windows?

• Haha 1