Why become a member? ×

I keep destroying straplocks!

urbanx

On 05/06/2019 at 17:27, BreadBin said:

You must be a complete beast on stage!

Ha ha, I am "lively" But...

I don't think anything I do is particularly high impact to the strap or pins. When I spin or do jumps I hold my bass against me and cushion it. I've never done the 'throw it over your shoulder' thing! 

• 1 month later...

I bought some Schaller copy strap locks as my first ever bass took a dive to the floor about 20 minutes after ownership began. The neck has never been the same since. 

The first set are still going strong years later. Admittedly I haven’t used them for about 10 years.

the newest set. The pip you pull popped off. That wasn’t very helpful.

i think with all of these things. Mass produced volume stuff, there’s gonna be some lemons. But I wouldn’t be without them.

On 23/05/2019 at 12:48, BigRedX said:

It's all down to personal experience, but I have been using Schaller Straplocks for 35 years now and never had one fail on me. The only set of Dunlops I've ever had broke after less than 6 months use.

On the flipside, I've used the same pair of Dunlops for the last 10 years with no issues... countless guitarists I've played with who use Schallers were always having problems. 

8 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

On the flipside, I've used the same pair of Dunlops for the last 10 years with no issues... countless guitarists I've played with who use Schallers were always having problems. 

That’s just being a guitard though...🙄

On 11/07/2019 at 12:34, Geek99 said:

That’s just being a guitard though...🙄

It's weird. I was put off Schallers before I even tried them as a result. Like I said, I have had the same pair of Dunlops for 10 years, moved them between a few straps and they still work as good as the day I bought them. Maybe I was lucky? 

• 2 weeks later...

I once saw an interview with Billy Sheehan, in which he showed what he uses. It was a tough webbing strap, screwed to the bass and with a couple of large metal washers between the screw heads and the strap. Bombproof. You can't take the strap off the instrument unless you unscrew it, but the webbing folds, so it goes in the case with no bother. Worth a try?

I use Schallers, have done since getting my first Warwick just over 30 years ago. There was a Schaller-compatible straplock by Boston which overcame the issue with the nut coming undone by simply having two nuts per lock - tighten the first nut down, then tighten the second nut onto it and it acts as a locknut. Although I've found that using a spanner and tightening the nut really tight rather than trusting that pliers will do the job works for me.

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Let's just say it's a good thing they don't have any bass guitars at Guantanamo Bay.

"Fretboarding" (n) A form of torture whereby the victim is made to listen constantly to someone repeatedly practice the bass part to "Under pressure" and constantly get it not quite right.  Also acceptable grounds for manslaughter of a spouse under UK law.

• Haha 3